Port Charlotte PAC: 01 2011

Strength
15 Apr 2021 3:18 pm by Tauti
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Port Charlotte PAC: 01 2011

6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.00 points

1. LaddieNerd scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

56.1%, 8 years old, 40 PPM, 100% Concerto barley, 6 or 7 year old 1st fill ex-American oak barrels were finished here, which were then finished for two more years in French wine barrels from the Pauillac region were united.

The key data sounds exciting. They remind me of the Port Charlotte The Distillery Valinch PAC: 01 2006. The Valinch was bottled at 60.4% in 2019 after 12 years of storage ... and I have to admit that the Valinch has so far been one of my personal favorites from the Series is. The PAC: 01 2011 in the Corerange therefore has to overcome a mental hurdle for me and I am very curious to see whether this will be achieved.
    ...........
    After the tasting: What an excellent bottling in the Corerange! Find it very balanced. This is how Port Charlotte is really fun in a glass.
    My wife really likes the whisky. Personally, I like the Valinch Distillery a little bit more. But here it is really a taste comparison on a high level. In terms of price-performance ratio, the PAC: 01 2011 is a real board and a very clear purchase recommendation.
      The first step on the nose is mostly smoky. This is accompanied by a distinct sweetness, light metallic notes. In the background, subtle citrus fruits combine with cherries and wood. Honey combines with vanilla, light red apple notes and almonds. Really fascinating.
    • Taste
      Here, too, the clear smoky notes combine with sweet notes and wood. There is also ham and clear, spicy notes with pastries. I thought about fresh muffins from the smoker for a moment. I've never had that before, but the association tempts me to dare to experiment.
      The medium-long finish of smoke, a concise sweetness, with a little spice and wood, stays on the palate for a long time. The palate remembers these great drops for a long time.

2. hubatakacs94 scored this whisky 95 points Newbie

Nose: After letting it rest for around 20 minutes, the first impression is absolutely fantastic! Fresh, warm, sweet, dried fruits (some berries I guess?) and all this with a lovely, strong barley flavour. Elegant peat smoke that is not that typical Port Charlotte-marine-style, but more like sweet and gentle smoke. Citrus and lemon freshness with delicate oak-y tones. Wonderful and rich bouquet.
    - [ ] Palate: Incredibly oily, lovely body. Some heat, but I also experienced an explosion of flavours and aromas on my tongue. The smoke is strong now, bit ashy, but then lot of berries, yes, now no doubt. In the background some caramel and sweet vanilla. It’s balanced, sweet-spicy-smoky-savoury. Lovely texture!!
    - [ ] Finish: Medium-Long finish, warm. Nose and palate comes through completely. The sweetness (berry fruits/caramel/vanilla) fades away slowly, then some nuttiness and cereal-y tones appear. Smoke kicks in last and stays on your palate for the rest of the night, be assured.
    - [ ] Overall: Marvellous malt, with some water it opens up even more and shows the incredible depth of this whisky. Highly, highly recommend!!

3. _stefanmayer scored this whisky 91 points Member Senior

This iteration of Bruichladdich's Port Charlotte Cask Exploration Series is very well done again. It doesn't kick my current series favorite–the OLC:01–off it's throne but comes quite close. I'm ok with the consumer price at release of just under 100 € and recommend this bottling to all fans of fruity smoked sweetness. And if a bottle's too much for you, go get a sample! You may change your mind.
      Ripe dark cherries, red apples and berry notes with just a hint of acidity are accompanied by a maritime breeze and warm, well-integrated smokyness. Honey, vanilla, and the memory of a day in the countryside linger in the background. A faint metallic note may be there, too. I had it in the glass for quite a while now and I really like that I seem to be able to distinguish those layers better and better, the longer it's in the glass. I tried it before, a few days ago, and now realize I gave it way too little time then. I had it in the glass for more than 30 minutes now and I am happy I was more patient this time.
    • Taste
      It comes on with a little kick but the alcohol is embedded very well. Despite the 56,1 % vol. calling for just a few drops of water, I suggest to let it sit for a while and try it once more without water, before deciding how much water you personally want to add. The prominent notes are sweet and fruity with a few sprinkles of dark chocolate. The sweetness isn't a sharp, sugary one, though, but more like raised pastry with a bit of butter and mild honey. The mouthfeel is good but less oily than I expected from the nose and the oily streaks on the walls of my glencairn glass. Also the individual layers are not as easily distinguishable anymore, as they were in the nose. Together with the smoky notes, this also reminds me a bit of a mild barbecue glace, you would use on spareribs in a smoker. It's all very much to my liking. A bit less complex than expected from the nose, however.
      The medium duration finish is definitely shorter than I expected. When I tried it for the first time with less time in the glass, the finish seemed to be a bit longer–so medium-long, then–and also a bit more edgy, which I also liked. This time, however, the warm smoke wears off first, while the sweetness, along with spices and wood notes, stay on for a bit longer until they fade with a hint of vanilla and make me want to go for another round.

4. kroby did not rate this whisky Expert Junior

Two parcels of heavily peated port charlotte spirit, distilled in November 2011, have been combined to create Port Charlotte PAC:01.

PARCEL ONE — 6 yrs in 1st fill ex- American whisky casks, then 2 yrs in 1st fill casks which previously held red wine from the Pauillac region of France.

PARCEL two — 7 yrs maturation in 1st fill ex-American whisky casks, then the remainder of its life in 2nd fill casks that previously held red wine from France’s Pauillac region.

— Minimum 6 yrs ex-American whisky cask maturation.
    — Remaining maturation in ex-pauillac red wine casks.
    — 100% Scottish Concerto Barley.

5. riegerjonas scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

2021-05-07: unusually bitter for a Port Charlotte
      a bit musty, slightly smoky, sweet, brittle, dark fruits, a bit grape-like, mossy, musty, a bit green apple, cookies
    • Taste
      quite bitter, nutty, the character reminds me a bit of Jura

6. d1scostu scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior