87.93/100
Bourbon Hogshead
Strength
03 apr 2021 10:19 pm by DerSchreckliche

Whisky reviews for Secret Islay 2007 MBl

22 users have left 23 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 87.93 points.

1. Tom na Gruagaich scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

I like it and when I blind-tasted it, I immediately tapped Octomore, which is rather unlikely.
    Definitely a very tasty Islay whisky.
      The peat is there immediately. Immediately reminiscent of Lagavulin ... But wait and see. Sweet and suddenly also dextrose and some milk ice cream, subtle fruit notes, strawberry, mango are added. Still very peaty, but not dirty, very clean.
    • Taste
      In the mouth this rice pudding strawberry association again. Lots of smoke, but nice, sweet, fruity, smoky, sparkling.
      The finish is then sweet with rather cool dry accents, some fruit, a lot of peat, but tart glucose than the rest.

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 23 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. Whisky-Fancier scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

First not too ripe pineapple, light smoke, the malt stands longer, comes strong bourbon vanilla
    • Taste
      Light smoke, vanilla, alcohol perfectly integrated
      First tart notes, then it swings into a sticky sweetness (PX barrel like). medium length

4. FuturePerfect scored this whisky 89 points Expert Junior

5. Killswitch scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

6. Gous scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

7. jazzvilly scored this whisky 87 points Expert Junior

8. jazzvilly scored this whisky 87 points Expert Junior

9. Glen Valley scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

Very sweet for a bourbon hogshead.
      Caramelized butter. Wonderful sweetness remains. Baked butter toast with sugar. No smoke.
      Vanilla.
    • Taste
      Scent of roses when first hit on the tongue.
      Light, nicely integrated smoke note.
      Breakfast whisky: honey, lavender, buttered toast and fresh smoked ham.
      Long finish that manages to slowly push smoke and complexity together into the stomach.

10. Hagerboe scored this whisky 91 points Member Senior

11. butt scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

12. SRB scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

I would also guess Ardbeg ... and a very good one at that.
      Smoky and dry, olives, grilled vegetables, old wood, smoked bacon
    • Taste
      Everything from above, plus maritime notes, salt, a little campfire and a little ash.
      Long to medium length, smoky and very dry.

13. SpringBarley scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

this is no ardbeg...

14. Christian Simon scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

So I haven't really noticed this hype yet and actually I ordered it and haven't even picked it up, but the sample here - open it and yes ..... great bacon and campfire, I'm right away - great Laga, then I read the Notes with 98 etc. (what do you have in your glass ?!) It is average tasty - yes a bit of kippers :-) with bacon and campfire, a delicious smoker - which is nothing outstanding and I kind of like a dram don't want to refill even if tasty. Hmmm but what do I do with my bottle after the average rating? --- open yourself !!

15. WhiskyCasual scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Great whisky, with all kinds of grilled fruit and a hearty note on the nose. He then lets the peat muscles play in the mouth.

16. KSC711 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

17. LittlePeat scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

A pretty good whisky. As far as I'm concerned it could actually be an Ardbeg. Bowmore would also be conceivable.

I don't really understand the hype though.

On the nose I have a nice wood note (damp wood dipped in salt water), rather mild smoke, powdered sugar, birch sap, a bit of vanilla in the background. A lot of salt is added on the palate.

Edit: Tried again - and I'm guessing Bowmore.

18. Dreamdramer did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Nose:
    Sweet campfire smoke with beautiful vanilla, heather, sweet light fruits, all wonderfully interwoven. The alcohol is not noticeable at all.
    Taste:
    Voluminous, sweet smoke, honey, salty lemon, light sea aromas
    Departure:
    Sweet tobacco notes which then slightly merge into dark chocolate
    Conclusion :
    Very nice malt that I would buy immediately for the original issue price.
    Actually reminds me of the Ardbeg Corryvreckan with a little older age and therefore not so impetuous.

19. Jakobl scored this whisky 92 points Member Senior

It is clear to me that the price does not fit, but if I use the committee procedure, I only have Ardbeg.
    I think he's great

20. Danlow scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

Indeed a good whisky that I would recommend for the regular price. For over 100 euros (secondary market price), however, you can get better whisky. Due to the hype about this bottle, I unfortunately had to pay my local 120 €. In addition, there was now just under 10 € for 5cl from a bottle sharing.

Salt, sea, smoked bacon and lots of smoke. A little vanilla and a little caramel. It is somewhat reminiscent of a barbecue evening with different types of meat, which were differently but well seasoned, especially with herb breading, pepper and salt. At the next table, a bit away, is the flambéed vanilla pudding that is served for dessert.
    The smokiness does not go in the direction of medicine (doctor's office, disinfectant, iodine), but in the direction of the smoke of a strongly blazing wood (coal) fire. The alcohol is perfectly integrated.
    For me, I'll rule out Caol Ila and choose southern Islay.

Maybe I'll test it against the Ardbeg 10 and Corryvreckan as well as against the Lagavulin 12 CS 2019. In fact, I'll locate it there somewhere.

21. Community Manager did not rate this whisky Community Manager

To all who feel the need to manipulate scores on this bottle page:

- We remove fake ratings (high and low)
    - We don't accept counter ratings (which are fake in our opinion)
    - We don't accept scores that are given to influence for any personal / business gain

We have removed several fake ratings that were given to this bottle so far (high and low). More will follow.

22. Noface83 scored this whisky 85 points Specialist

Leave the church in the village - that's definitely not an Ardbeg and neither a hype nor an argument about fake ratings (both up and down). A delicious drop that is already hard at the upper limit of the PLV. Opened a bottle yesterday with CAPTAIN_K - he thought it was average and I thought it was good:

85-88 points: Grade 2 / good whisky that puts a smile on your face but still has a small weak point somewhere.

Detailed notes follow the days.

So because it's so expensive 85 pts. From me.

Now please think about your reviews and your dispute - this is about whisky and the stuff is there to drink and enjoy - not for bottle flipping and arguing!

23. SMC-HH did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

An Ardbeg whose quality has not even come close to being matched in any of the special bottlings in recent years. And at a fair price!

24. Captain Teague scored this whisky 94 points Expert Senior

Speechless for a sec...wow...I need another Bottle .initial impressions: Very settled and round appears older than 13y..needs a lot of time few drops of water for the nose to fully open up. Watermelon in the nose??

Nose: Coastal( wet wood, seabreaze), great chimney smoke..some phenolic smoke, tar, liquorice, slight vanilla...oranges, watermelon...smoked cheese.. after first sip more sweetness Blütenhonig imo..later more herbal ( oregano, Thyme) 93

mouth: Oily, full bodied..white salted liquorice , smoked orangedrops, smoked mango...honey... glazed bbq... orange cest, slight vanilla, slight anis ....chalky..salty... Later more sour fruits..maracuja... red Apples..not too forgt the slight iodine and heavy smoke sorry but it's so settled an balanced :) / not mentioning alcohol.. integrated to perfection 95

F: looooong...Orange cest, getting oak very dry ( Ginger, maybe white pepper)...Herbs pop in ( anis)...eycalyptus .. accompanied by smoke an ash.very late some (like minutes later) cinnamon pops up it doesnt seem to end..93

Lovely great different my cup of tea.. it's not the most complex whisky of course.. to me just what an islay dram should be like....btw I don't like liquorice in any other way..you have to like the dry notes of course the ..I do...a dream of a dram!!

.... at this moment i cant imagine a dram this style to be any better...the finish and develoment is fantastic...a great swimmer (not that you need water but i like more it with some drops More fruit / neat very hard to sense... Don't see fruit impressions in other reviews... but it's there and it's lovely ;)

just to get it in the right order I'm a peathead: AB 10 is a straight 90 in my book - I also love CaOl Ila and the other Islay distillerie would not care if it was anything else..I will on the other hand never understand the hype around most of those beloved and soo 'complex' old sherry casks they are just do replaceable on my tongue....head to head with 3 Other ABs one Laga and a Bowie it is most likely AB on my tongue and nose - of course you don't know for sure if it's just an extremely ardbeggy Bowie or whatever..

it's not cheap but initial offer at 95 for 13 yrs high strength Single cask ( is it cask strength - not sure as the label doesn't state anything) south Islay.. I' ve seen them for mid hundreds or even around 300 with the Name on it ( s. NSS Ardbeg 12 refill and that was 3 years ago)..and in the same
    time around April 2021 Elixir offers 0,5 NAS blend for 79 EUR...you be the judge in the end...

KVK: 60207205