91.03/100
Strength
5021944111824
23 Mar 2021 5:57 pm by Tauti

Whisky Reviews for Unnamed Islay Malt 1992 SV

27 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.03 points

1. GIngi scored this whisky 93 points Expert Senior

Up front! For me this is not a decent to good whisky, but a first class "modern" Islay! The price is certainly ambitious, but an Ardbeg 25 is, for example, 1,000 €. For me here with the "Unknown Islay" after trying it, the question arises whether Ardbeg or Lagavulin, I rule out everything else! With Laphroaig (no, a date is not proof for me) I clearly lack the medical grade. Apart from which distillery is really hidden here, 400 € are fair measured but now to the notes ...
      Wow - wonderful freshness, lots of grain and subtle smoke. Nice citrus. Here I would be more at Ardbeg.
    • Taste
      Now comes the smoke, really campfire, alcohol very well integrated. Nice sweetness, great (not oversized) fruit. Slightly floral but also subtle. The whisky doesn't need any water. In the taste I would say it is a Lagavulin. By the way, the only distillery in Islay that never published under Signatory :)
      A lot of smoke "sticks" in the mouth. Very concise and pleasant at the same time. Quite long!

2. Nickname scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

It's NOT Lagavulin and NOT Ardbeg!
    Just enter the date 19.11.1992 here at Whiskybase and you will see...

3. RoKa scored this whisky 94 points Expert Senior

A really great (for sure ;-)) Lagavulin, where you notice the 28 years, with smoke, sweetness from the bourbon barrel and super integrated alcohol - great!

I actually thought that the reviews here are (primarily) about the taste and not the price - also the price for a 28 year old Laga is absolutely more than fair, just because it is not OA ?? !! Especially since this one here can easily keep up with an OA - if not better! Anyone who describes the whisky as "good" but deducts over 40 points due to the (justified) price ... I don't know ... besides, you don't have to buy it ...
    Anyone who thinks 400 euros is too much for a 28 year old (with only 250 bottles available) today, in my opinion, still lives in the small, healthy, manageable world of whisky from 20-30 years ago, when there was also no demand! This fabric is definitely worth the money :-))))

4. decadentto scored this whisky 92 points Expert Junior

No need to enter dates or speculate, the only thing to do is open the bottle and try it.
    This is 100% Lagavulin and one of the finest to come out in the last years.
    Ratings will start pilling up, because the first bottle shares in Germany are now done and the participants will be able to try it.
    I did and I love it!

5. TP-Darknight scored this whisky 96 points Expert Senior

WOOOOOW delicious, crispy and intense reminds me most of Lagavulin. SMELL smoke, campfire, wet sandy beach after a downpour. Then sweet, lime, clove and honey. TASTE very powerful, charred oak, phenolic, old leather, spicy and at the same time caramel with a little lemon. In the finish very very very very long with smoke, charcoal, thyme, clove, beeswax and kiwi.

6. rampah scored this whisky 94 points Expert Senior

Retail price: ~400€

This one reminds me of the now discontinued "Small Batch" series of Cadenhead, as it it is a vatting of a few casks.

I like it a lot, much more than for example the Laphroaig 27yo and 28yo, or the recent Ardbeg 25yo.

Which distillery is it?
    Bunnahabhain? -> no, too much peat for a 92 Bunna.
    Bowmore and Bruichladdich should be out of the question as well.
    Which leads to Caol Ila (very unlikely), Ardbeg, Lagavulin (this would be my pick) or Laphroaig.
    In terms of Ardbeg or Lagavulin, this would be considered too cheap. For a CI maybe too expensive, the OB of Laphroaig with the same age are already in this price region.

But from a drinking perspective I couldn't care less, what distillery it is: It is very good, much better than almost all new releases of all the Islay distillerys.
    It more or less depends, if you are willing to pay 400€ for a bottle for drinking. No fancy stories or designed wooden boxes, but you get awesome whisky in it.

7. HokkaidoUni did not rate this whisky Expert Junior

I do not understand all why the reviews are so highly scored nor why everyone is saying “don’t worry it is worth the money” - is there a context over in Germany I don’t get? Also did everyone who just reviewed it the past day or two coordinate buying and reviewing?

It looks like a lovely dram but is it really the 5th best whisky you’ve ever had?

8. Macallan1968 scored this whisky 94 points Expert Senior

If you ask around in the branch, then this "Unnamed Islay" should come from the Lagavulin distillery. The fact is, it is an old and well-matured whisky that has been on the bucket for 28 years and you can tell. I can only agree with TP-Darknight from the tasting.

You can be divided about current prices, but one thing is very clear - we will see other prices in the future, Brexit has played its part! In addition, there are rising rates for the British pound - we will reach a five-year high by early 2022.

What would you pay for a 28 year old Lagavulin? I don't think I can do anything below 2,000 EUR, right? So, enjoy rather than get excited :-)

Slàinte

9. SMC-HH did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

This whisky is good, but unfortunately far too hyped in my opinion. At least 2 members who rated this whisky with well over 90 points are in my opinion very close to the German importer or even work there.

You can't argue about taste. But you can be surprised about reviews. Also what the evaluation of the current 25 year old Ardbeg has to do with this whisky. I would drink that first ...

10. knopfler99 scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

In my opinion a Lagavulin as it is in the book. Old, mature, slightly lemony, coal and smoke, spicy notes.

In my opinion, a great price-performance ratio, yes a lot of money, but such barrels at this price are already the absolute exception.

Clear purchase recommendation, an absolute dream substance to drink in today's times. My highlight so far in 2021.