BenRiach 1978

Tokaji Hogshead
Strength
07 Sep 2010 5:24 pm

Whisky Reviews for BenRiach 1978

7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.81 points

1. Falnor scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

This benriach was sadly overpowered with this tokaji wine finish.

2. Prof.Schoof did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

This Whisky was sold at whiskyauction for 395 € in Okt.16.

3. Thermidor scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior

I can taste there was a nice BenRiach here, but then somebody finished it in a Dr Pepper can.

4. murphyr12 scored this whisky 94 points Expert Junior

BenRiach 1978 Tokaji wine barrel (29 years) Nose: I recently had a very young whisky in the glass, which was also in these sweet wine barrels. But from the force of the flavors ago absolutely no comparison. The 29 years have given him a flavor freight, which is hard to describe. He is sweet and at the same time almost earthy and very spicy. A very nice combination. He is very round and manages to make individual flavors shortly after each other, some shorter, make longer to bring forward. Since this painter has been waiting for me for 29 years in the barrel, I now allow him his time with me in the glass. Will be a long nosing;) Wine, oak and some damp soil. He gives himself at the beginning like a heavy, old red wine, but then lets the sweet and floral notes through bit by bit. Hmmm .... I'm surprised that there are no bees straying to pick up some nectar. Here is the source! Sweet, sweet honey :) It is currently above all other notes. I'll give him some more time. The spice is hiding right now. It gives the sweet grapes the opportunity to show themselves. Such a nuanced sweetness I have not noticed yet. Most of the whiskys that were allowed to be stored in a wine barrel also included many flavors, but not so many that present sweetness alone. It gets lemony :) Maybe some caramel. And then the oak logs in. Powerful and chocolaty. Now comes cinnamon too. Gorgeous :) Thumbs up to Ben Riach. A very good combination with the perfect age. What am I looking forward to the cost :) Tongue: wine, seasoning. Barrel. Lots of wine, a wonderful, sweet sweetness. Bright grapes. And again this thick, golden honey. A madness whisky. The finish is long and almost sad that the experience is over soon. It ensures only a slight salivation and dispensed in the departure to any bitterness. If a whisky is worth € 300 then this one. On the second sip :) Nose: Spicy, a little heather and also flowery. Really a great character. The interplay of flavors is never ending. Now still smoke and I would never want to drink anything else :) Tongue: Oily, easy onset. Build up slowly. Then again the seasoning, in between again the grapes, something else, light fruity and again the barrel. But despite the 29 years absolutely not pushy. Very restrained and elegant. Conclusion: I will eventually need a bottle;) Thanks again to the donor! https://www.facebook.com/NOSEingtime?ref=bookmarks

5. MaltMartin scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

These wine finishesof BenRiach all have the same sort of profile. This one has more character than others because of the higher alcohol in my opinion.
      Beeswax. Lots of honey. Vanilla as well. oranges and tangerines.
    • Taste
      Waxy and oily. Lots of sweetness. Marmelade and pear. Some apricot. Polished oak. Liquorice. Cinnamon and ginger.
      Medium long. Sweet-sourness. Tanninic. Slightly spicy (black pepper and nutmeg).

6. Erik Elixir scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

N: Chokotoff, pepper, dried fruits, creamy (advocaat) and gooseberries
    T: mint, port, nuts and sweet forest fruits
    F: drying, honey, grains and gooseberries
    tasted with Aby and JJ
    sample available on www.whiskysample.nl

7. markjedi1 scored this whisky 81 points Connoisseur

This is a wine finish that does not please me. Seems a bit of a waste of this old BenRiach, but I am sure <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Walker and his crew beg to differ. Not my cup of tea. If you can still find it, make sure you have around 200 EUR to spend.
      Indeed, the nose is sweet, but also rather dry. I must admit, when I close my eyes, it feels as if I am merely smelling a glas of white wine at first. Then suddenly I do vanilla and get mild spices. And something buttery. But I cannot say I am impressed.
    • Taste
      On the palate, it starts of soft and not at all feisty. Again that drying effect. Sweet and sour are in a headlock. I get green grapes and vanille, but I cannot call this sweet.
      The finish is sweet/sour and medium in length.