ElsBurn 2014

Strength
L2007
21 feb 2021 9:57 pm by Sleinn nam Ffoh

Whisky reviews for ElsBurn 2014

5 users have left 6 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 88.27 points.

1. peatjens scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

The first bottle from the four-pack of the Hercynian Distilling Co. 4 Seasons Box, which I take care of. It contains the single malts: ELSBURN, WILLOWBURN, THE ALRIK and EMPEROR'S WAY.
      I can feel the alcohol in my nose a bit sharply at first. 55.1% vol. are not without either. Maybe it is also due to the small tulip-shaped tumblers that were included in the set. They are strongly tapered at the top. I transfer it to a large tumbler. A little bit better. Water? Not yet. First of all, I would like to experience the whisky at cask strength. In between I grab the first empty glass. Nose in. Whomp, the full load of sherry. Later a hint of smoke. Should he be there?
      Ok - now I'll add a small shot of water from the pipette. It's still powerful on the nose. It reminds me a bit of the shoe shine cabinet at my grandma Jutta's. Inside were rags and brushes that had seen a lot. Ripe dark fruits. A little malt, liquorice or caramel toffee. You can't say it exactly because the next impression comes up. A sweetness can be felt and herbal aromas. Then the scent from the hot oven comes to mind, in which the gingerbread cookies are baked a little too dark. And again I have the breath of cold smoke. It doesn't stop, but I finally have to take a sip at some point.
    • Taste
      Oily, creamy mouthfeel. In contrast to the nose, the alcohol doesn't bother me.
      The palate wins with water and overall it makes it a bit tamer and rounder. Chocolatey, malty aromas develop and I feel a heaviness that is not easy to penetrate.
      The finish has something of bitter almonds.
      On the tongue you can feel a sharpness that comes across as peppery.
      A pleasant, voluminous warmth remains. A long time later it fades away very slowly and leaves me grinning contentedly.

Conclusion: that wasn't my first whisky from the hammer mill, but my first ElsBurn. This one also gave me a lot of pleasure.

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 6 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. whisky666 scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

The second of the quartet....Elsburn....another fine dram.

4. peatjens scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

On the website of the distillery, each bottle from the four seasons set had its own note on the flavors. Here is the extract for the ElsBurn, which stands for summer:

Color (not colored):

caramel
    Cookie dough

5. Sleinn nam Ffoh scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

6. dongolzo81 scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Liqueur! Also damn close to Barbados rum. Blind I might have confused it. Unfortunately, the finish drops off too much.

7. Gogopro52 scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

I think the whole box is a really great idea with 4 really fantastic malts.

The Elsburn is a classic handfilled / distillery exclusive, although not quite as sweet this time and I think that looks really good on it.

Beautiful fruit cake notes meet raisin biscuits, nothing excessive, but subtle. Fine tangerine, chocolate with salted caramel, vanilla.

And a really nice label.

The average price of 100 EUR / 0.7 l is not cheap, of course, but still within the limits of what you are used to from the Harz region.

KVK: 60207205