88.40/100
ex-Caol Ila Sherry Hogshead
Strength
08 jan 2021 3:10 pm by Horror_Vacui

Whisky Reviews for The Westfalian 2013

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.40 points

1. Archer scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Blind tasting comparison with: https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/169768/caol-ila-2005-gm#note-container

Comparatio
    The taste description was the easy part. Now for the unexpectedly sporty part, the comparison.
    I tasted in the order “Caol” nose - “Ila” nose - “Caol” taste, finish - “Ila” taste, finish. No neutralization of the tongue between the two whiskys. In terms of color, “Caol” is darker than “Ila”. Not essential, but in such a way that it attracts attention. The first smell comparison gave me an idea of which whisky might come from where. I will ultimately keep this idea as a result, but more on that later.
    It is striking how much the two whiskys are actually similar, considering that one of the two is a German whisky. Both have their strengths, "Caol" in my opinion in the nose, "Ila" more on the tongue and in the finish, whereby with "Ila" the nose does not fall off, so that "Ila" is more stringent and stable to me than "Caol" occurs. "Caol" knees relatively quickly on the tongue, which then results in the rather short finish.
    But apart from these small nuances, both are qualitatively on a very similar level! I really wouldn't have thought that before.

Conclusion
    I think I have a really good chance here ... to ruin a fifty-fifty chance. The two candidates are really very similar in character, there is nothing to be shaken about.
    Ultimately, I will follow my suspicion that “Caol” seemed a bit out of place to me. Could of course also be a UA-Caol Ila with a fancy barrel type, but I'll stick with it: “Caol” is a Westfalian, “Ila” is a Caol Ila.
    In any case, I am very happy to say that I want to put a German whisky on my watch list.

Resolution:
    "Caol" = The Westfalian
    "Ila" = Caol Ila
      A strong smoky note, interspersed with tar, heavy oil and seaweed. The smoke note is very spicy and goes in the direction of smoked bacon. Thyme, rosemary, dried sage leaves, pepper. A very slight sweetness from dried fruits, maybe apricots. Banana puree, honey, vanilla, milk chocolate, milk coffee.
    • Taste
      Strong start with sugared fruits and a pleasant smoky note. Less greasy than on the nose, the focus less on spice, but with a higher fruit content, in which strawberries and sweet raspberry jam can be found. Almost tending towards fruit gums. It dries quickly and then a few spices appear, as well as some menthol. Vanilla pudding and caramel.
      The finish is short and crisp, dry and with remnants of the fruit on the tongue. Dry wood and dark chocolate finish off.

2. Blodnach scored this whisky 90 points Newbie

What a great whisky. The nose is promising, but the taste is only. Wow! Every sip tastes different. The finish is long and extremely satisfying. Life is Beautiful!
      Wood (some polish?), Wet leaves. Smoke is there, but not overpowering. But also a fresh, slightly peppery breeze makes its way through the undergrowth.
    • Taste
      More benevolent! Where do I start, where do I stop? What feels like an Islay fruit salad (I just have no idea which fruit I'm tasting) with a hint of sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Tobacco? A slight bitterness. The mouthfeel is oily at first and dry at the end. And the next dram tastes different again.
      The whisky goes slowly. In gentle wave movements. Warms up for a while. The taste stays in the mouth for a long time.

3. Malthead_80 scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

4. IronChic scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

5. Horror_Vacui scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Nose:
    I would never blindly guess that this wasn't a Scotsman or a Caol Ila.
    There are the typical citrus fruits, there are seaweed and damp dew, a certain malty sweetness in the nose.
    Some clove, dates and fig. Baked apple, cherry juice.

Mouth:
    Pumpernickel, cherries, caramalt. Orange and lime peel, some ginger. Compared to the nose, it looks more distillate, a little grainy and malty.

Finish:
    Medium-long, slightly fruity (apples), nice, non-dominant wood felling and some malt.

88/100

Conclusion:
    Really great whisky, I would never trust myself to blindly recognize them as Germans. What I associate with Caol Ila clearly shows through here. A few idiosyncratic grain notes offer an interesting counterpoint to the "clear Caol Ila notes" and offer an additional dimension to discover.
    Great bottling!

Edit: after a few re-tastings, I would rather locate it at 88/100

Whiskybase was founded in 2007 with the goal to create the biggest resource of whisky information in the world. A community driven website built by and for whisky enthusiasts.