Glen Grant 170th Anniversary

Strength
30 Jul 2010 7:43 am
ColoredNon-chillfiltered

Whisky Reviews for Glen Grant 170th Anniversary

26 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.05 points

[July, 2017]  I bought this bottle for 72 Euro in September, 2015.  As I know this stuff is easy drinkable I opened another bottle as an easy-to-sip summer dram (and to do a detailed review)...

..that is another very delicate composition of Dennis Malcolm if (how Jim Murray stated) "not the odd mildly sulphured cask has slipped through".  But simply add some water and enjoy it on a warm summer night...
      The colour is old gold and the texture shows very late slow legs and sticky tears. The nose offers a nice barley sugary and slightly sherry profile that is quite delicate and balanced.
    • Taste
      The taste is barley sugary sweet with now stronger sherry flavours, really nice. And now I know how Jim Murray came to the conclusion of an "odd slightly sulphured cask" in this huge batch: It is neither in the nose nor on the palate but after a while I can detect a minor scurfy mouthfeel that sulphurous flavours usually induce. It is not annoying at all but nevertheless the dram would be better without it.
      It arrives in the mouth warming and tongue-coating (not more) with no distracting bitter or astringent feelings. The finish is medium to long, very sweet and more spicy than both the nose and the palate. No bitterness or drying out - just this little scurfy mouthfeel. After adding some water this scurfy thing is gone and the whole dram improves a lot (its gets more balanced and mellow - that really makes a huge difference). So my score is for the reduced dram (neat it would be two points less).

[April, 2013]  Together with friends I emptied a bottle that I bought for 80 Euro in March, 2013.

[May, 2013]  Together with friends I emptied another bottle that I bought for 80 Euro in April, 2013.

[October, 2014]  Together with friends I emptied another bottle that I bought for 80 Euro in April, 2013.

[January, 2018]  Upon request of a good friend I opened another bottle that I bought for 80 Euro in March, 2013.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 87,5.  My notes state there is no sulphur that I can detect (as Jim Murray scored it lower because he smelled "one (!) odd mildly sulphured cask" in this huge batch of 17.000 bottles).  Good to see there are people out there that react even stronger on sulphur than I do.  I found this edition a very delicate and easy quaffable dram that I would serve to my friends anytime again without doubts - exactly my definition of score 87,5...

3. rottendon scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

The mouth does not correspond at all to the expectation that awakened the nose, which is not necessarily negative. In the mouth it is not fruity at all, but still well balanced, neither sweetness nor tart notes can become too dominant here. The high barrel load at the end makes me suspect that it is probably a few days older ...
    In any case, I'll be betting on a Glen Grant, I was faced with exactly the same choice a few weeks ago and guessed wrong. But the two were so similar that I suspect it is one. It is definitely very drinkable and I would like to try it at cask strength!

Notes from a blind tasting.

Look, it's a Glen Grant, and it's a very typical one. Nice selection!
      Pears and stone dust in the first breath, then citrus notes (lemon / grapefruit) and alcohol that tickles the nose. When moving, the pear becomes clear again, juicy and ripe. After standing for a while, the citrus notes have almost disappeared and canned pears take the lead. Some chocolate and malt can be found, plus a touch of mint and a little sweat. When warmed up, fermentation notes emerge, then acidic fruitiness, like those of glucose from the pharmacy.
    • Taste
      Quite soft start with a slightly watery mouthfeel, honey first, later when the alcohol begins to develop strength, herbs, further back tannins and a hint of menthol. In the second sip it looks even more balanced, and you can now find some cocoa powder.
      The finish is relatively long and barrel-heavy, continues to dry out. He warms the chest area extensively. In the second sip, a light (fruity) acidity lays around the palate at the end.

4. Jackson05 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Lovely dram. I agree with hs305; a great dram you could drink anytime. I don’t get the sulphur.

Vanilla cake soaked in orange liqueur. Graham crumbs and marshmallow. Good weighty mouthfeel. Very drinkable stuff. Perhaps a sprig or so of herbs. Some chili heat on the finish. Drinks bigger than 46%

5. Monte Gehro scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Notes from a blind tasting.

An elegant malt. I like it, it has substance, also because of the long-lasting finish.
      Very pleasant, no alcoholic note in the glass after this long time. Forest honey, vanilla, somewhat exotic fruits, flower meadow, far back a fine spice of aged malts.
    • Taste
      Velvety and soft in the beginning, honey and fruit sweetness, at times I think that there is an old grain there. Dry oak, hints of spices that I cannot name exactly.
      Amazingly long. First the sweet notes fade, so that a dry tingling sensation on the tongue gains the upper hand. If that has disappeared, the honey sweetness reports again, together with some tree resin.
      A nice malty-spicy scent flows from the empty snifter.

6. ffmdino did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

nice malt, but it does not make you overjoyed
      Vanilla becomes stronger, malt, easily earth
      later green, green herbs, ashes, minimal smoke, cereals, pears, lemons
    • Taste
      strong on the palate, he bounces
      Pears, apple red delicious, light oak, liquorice?
      medium to long
      spicy, oak, slightly bitter, fruity comes

7. ThinLizzy scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

8. Vallado scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

Notes from blind tasting.

My tip was: Aberfeldy, 16 years old, ex-BC
      malty-sweet, vanilla, honey, culinary herbs, over time the herbal note turns into floral
    • Taste
      very malty again, vanilla and honey, orange peel, wood spice
      Medium length, malty-sweet, goes over into woody-spicy and back to the sweet corner

9. Totoro scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

(Blind tasting notes)

I liked it! If I had to type I would stick near the coast and probably with Clynelish. More like vatting than a single barrel.
      Hui, nice, I like it very much right away and spontaneously reminds me of Clynelish (about an older version of the 14 yo). Very spicy, almost like fenugreek, and slightly waxy, and I also think I notice a maritime-mineral note à la Pulteney, Oban, or Clynelish (maybe also Bunna?). Great body for 46%, has a nice density and heaviness, although I suspect the age information probably starts with a 1 and not a 2.
      Dried fruit (dried apricots), apple cider, salted caramel, almond chocolate, dry sherry, a drop of ripened balsamic vinegar ... There are also vague "dark" aspects that remind me of boiler rooms and / or machine oil. The alcohol strength suits me well in the nose, so I miss little or nothing.
      87-88 points.
    • Taste
      Salty-spicy start, nice acidity, then becomes slightly peppery and is most intense in the middle, but then quickly falls off again after this "spike". Would guess a vatting with sherry and a couple of crisp, fresh ex-bourbon barrels, no full maturation. The taste development makes me suspect an OA, just because of the feeling, I can't name it. Perhaps it is this dark, somewhat dull roasted note towards the end that suppresses the other aromas, that sounds somehow familiar to me. For me, the impression that it has to be a blend / vatting hardened here, probably around 15 years, but with a few older components included.
      Great beginning + middle section, beautifully present, but a bit stale towards the end. Other good ones:
      86-87 points.
      Burnt caramel, marmite, slightly bitter, delicate herbal note, still sea salt. The maximum fruit is a bitter orange. But somehow you can still taste something old (and delicious) with it.
      85-86 points.