- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- 2012 - 2016
- PX & Palo Cortado Sherry Hogsheads & Octaves
- Number of bottles
- 56.5 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 17 Dec 2020 11:48 pm by Malzbrenner
22 × in wishlist
71 × member ratings
175 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Emperor's Way Henry the Lion
13 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.90 points
- Yeah right, those great reviews of the Emperors releases, many in the 90++ area made me curious. So i got myself a sample of this one. And well what can i say... It is smooth, it is definitely really nice for a german (lets say non-scottish) destillery and if we are honest here... Those typically tend to suck. In this case, this spirit is refreshingly drinkable but if you compare it to the real deal, which you have too, we are still talking about whisky, it is nothing to rave about. So id end up with an honest 83. My guess/fear is that many of those 90+ ratings are part of a questionable marketing campaign, maybe even flippers
- A wonderfully spicy-sweet, slightly smoky single malt that blows away the winter misery, for a cozy evening by the fireplace. Before that there was a saddle of venison with blueberry sauce, spaetzle and root vegetables. Very balanced, creamy and oily. Hammerschmiede whiskys are getting better and better.
It appears very expressive and complex, with a lot of dried fruits, dates, cherries, ground nuts, caramel, tobacco and a leathery note of wood smoke. Everything is harmoniously and creamy interwoven.
With a powerful, massive start, clearly spicier notes, but still oily and creamy. Sweet, strongly reduced syrup with raisins, dates and dried and candied fruits. In addition, wood smoke, oak, leather, tobacco and espresso with dark cocoa.
Very long-lasting potpourri of sweet and spicy-smoky notes. Wonderful for an enjoyable winter evening.
- Fruity, spicy, smoky and that in a balanced and really excellent way.
Dates and figs, pipe tobacco, light peat smoke, then blackberries and nutty and leathery aromas, very complex.
With water it opens up clearly, smoky-putrid fruit components and mineral spice appear.
The start is strong, with a fruity and a slightly peppery note, the texture is creamy and the alcohol is well integrated. Light fruit, sweetness and dryness spread in the mouth.
A little water is good for him; In the mouth, the full aromas unfold with sweet dates, tobacco leaves, overripe grapes, raisins, forest honey and fine chocolate.
Quite profound for his age.
Medium to long, slightly peppery and smoky elements combine with harmonious oak bitterness, subtle dryness and bitter fruity elements.
- I think he's great.
Exactly my thing
- Smoky sherry barrel. Strong with character! Peculiar! I will not say that I was directly hooked, but the quality is felt!
- A few drops of water are a must. 3 points less without water.