Nc'nean Organic Single Malt

Batch 4
Strength
12 Dec 2020 9:43 pm by markjedi1

Whisky Reviews for Nc'nean Organic Single Malt

7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.14 points

1. markjedi1 scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

Sweetness

I confess… I'm a fan of Nc’nean. I love their style, their philosophy, their packaging but mostly their whisky. It reminds me a bit of Auchentoshan, which is probably part of the reason why I have a soft spot for this new Highlander. I find it a very accessible aperitif style whisky. So I kept a keen eye on the website to be able to acquire a bottle of batch 4.

Haha! Again a slightly different nose! For the regular whisky lover this will probably not mean very much; it's only us whisky geeks (it takes one to know one) who feel this is important. It is a lot sweeter and softer than its predecessors. Honey, citrus fruit, nougat, caramel, but this one has a lot less spiciness on the nose. In its stead I get a beautiful, floral note that really pleases the nose. Even something perfume-y, no kidding. Very good indeed.

Creamy, round, rich. On the palate I now do get that little prickle of white pepper and wood shavings. In that sense it comes closer to its predecessors. But on the palate here as well, there is that extra sweetness making it playful and fresh and… a good candidate for a whisky cocktail!

The finish is a bit shorter than in the previous batches, but more than long enough to make you enjoy this for minutes on end.

Nc’nean is starting to claim surprisingly much shelf space at the Whivie HQ. But as long as they keep producing this nice whisky, I will keep using it for my aperitif. I've just heard through the grapevine that Batch 5 will be bottled in January 2021. I will keep my eye on the website to make sure I can secure my bottles of this new batch.

2. Mapl scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

3. Bosi scored this whisky 79 points Specialist

This batch is beautifully made again and clearly shows Nc'nean's claim to bring out drinkable, "finished" whisky as quickly as possible. This distillery definitely has potential and I'm excited for the first 8 or 10 year olds. A sample of this bottling is enough for me.
      As with other Nc'nean batches that I was able to try, I first have an orchard in my nose: apples, pears, peaches and honey. After a certain time, the flavors of the STR-Cask come through stronger. Red grapes and some cinnamon now dominate.
      Overall a very nice nose for a 3 year old.
    • Taste
      The taste is more strongly influenced by the wine barrel. Dry and bitter notes alternate. In addition, there is a little honey, pepper, caramel and a strong spice note.
      The finish is short to medium long. Mainly a tingling sharpness remains on the tip of the tongue and a hint of the spices lingers.

4. JoshNRW scored this whisky 85 points Expert Junior

Flowery, thin, sweet, delicious. 46 percent, NAS, well done. Many words are not worth it.

5. Torian scored this whisky 73 points Member Senior

Banana, sweet, spicy, firm grapes and pears, grain field
    • Taste
      sweet, slightly bitter, spicy, grain, soft oily
      bitter finish

6. valasios scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

7. Myke scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Pure seasoning, spices and herbs ...
    I already had batches 02 and 03, which I found relatively close to each other and also good.
    Batch 04 looks a whole lot more mature, although it should be quite identical in terms of the key data.
    Hui, something happened.
    The barrel composition with 65% STR and 35% ex-bourbon is the same; the quality of the barrels should also be pretty much the same.
    Perhaps the master distiller has more experience? Put another cut? Pure guesswork on my part! But a nice development.
    [90 - 86 = extremely tasty -> get a second bottle, don't look at the prize]
      quite floral at the beginning, but then there is a nice and full sweetness of honey and caramel; has something of a Haribo cutie.
      Light fruits, peach, apricot and a little more exotic with banana. A grape and citrus aroma is also noticeable, but no longer as sour as in batch 02 and 03.
      The grapes no longer look so green, but actually tend more in the red direction.
      A spice and herb note reappear, but are even more harmonious than in the previous batches.
      The herbs get stronger with time and air.
      Sure, it still looks young, fruity, strong - and yet a bit "older" than the sibling batches.
      With The Nose Glass: grassy notes or hay appear. Reminds me of Tobermory ... Mmmh, they are probably. regional influences? It's practically around the corner.
    • Taste
      soft start, spice, herbs are right there. It becomes creamy and oily. The youth in the form of alcoholic hotness presses the tongue again briefly and says "Hello".
      He lines the oral cavity further with spices and herbal aromas.
      Second sip: there is more fruit now. The spices and herbs quickly take command again.
      yes, he's gone again very quickly; but it looks like more tannins are left on the tongue.
      A little more oak aroma than I remembered.