Tamdhu 2006 Sb

Strength
13 Nov 2020 9:09 pm by whiskycuse
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Tamdhu 2006 Sb

4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.78 points

1. Flou scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

This 14-year-old Tamdhu from Zanzibar lies amber in the glass and I'm very curious to see what this whisky has to offer. With a current retail price of just under € 60, this bottling is a welcome change from the many price increases in recent months and in terms of price it is in a league with the Aberlour A'bunadh, which I consider a terrific sherry barrel whisky for the money. I am curious whether he will inspire me as a lover of whisky from sherry casks.

Immediately a wonderful sweetness flows out of the glass. Honey is teaspoonful on a fruit compote made from juice oranges, grapefruit, ripe pears, apples and a few cherries. Everything is drizzled with a few squirts of lemon juice before reaching into the peppery spice drawer. Fresh wood is clearly noticeable and also brings gentle aromas of dry forest floor and hints of liquorice and a little cocoa. I miss a bit of depth in the fruit aromas, I hardly find cooked dark fruits here. The wood note doesn't quite meet my taste and personally stands out too much from the variety of flavors.

In my mouth I have an interplay of a peppery start and sweet honey notes. At the beginning, wonderful fruits flash here and there, but the peppery heat banishes them to the back seats before the tannins take the stage. Liquorice, the cocoa is now turning into coffee, some tobacco and leather announce themselves ... the whisky is a bit too peppery for me.

The finish is medium-long and is dominated by pepper and tart notes such as liquorice, coffee, tobacco, leather and some forest soil. The fruits are barely left, the sweetness of honey leaves only subtle traces, but is still noticeable. While the honey then leaves the mouth early, the tannins and a very slight dryness remain in the mouth. I like the finish better than the taste in the mouth, since the sharpness no longer dominates everything.

Although the whisky has a great drinking strength for me, I dilute it with a little water to see whether I can get the peppery notes under control better. The honey now comes through even better, the sharpness is reduced a little and leaves a little more space for the other flavors. For me clearly better than undiluted, although the pepperiness does not completely disappear ... but the spiciness on the tongue is now much more bearable.

Overall, this is a delicious whisky that I really enjoyed. Would I buy a large bottle of it? No. Not because it is not worth the 60 €, because it is better than some whiskys that I have tried so far and are significantly more expensive. But for the money I would rather go for Aberlour A'Bunadh or Glendronach 15.

I got 86/100 points.

2. dongolzo81 scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

3. LeChiffre scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

4. ThorstenH scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

Flou described the flavor notes very well. For me, too, the wood notes are too much in the foreground for a higher rating.