Starward Dolce

08 Nov 2020 10:00 pm by sengjc
Uncolored

AUD$ 124.97

Whisky Reviews for Starward Dolce

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.60 points

1. _stefanmayer scored this whisky 84 points Member Senior

Just hits the spot. Whisky and sweet wine are a match here. Would have given even more points if the alcohol was integrated better. Complex enough to have fun "nosing around" a bit, yet easy enough for a lazy evening. BUT: At almost 80 € consumer price for a half liter bottle (that's 112 €/.7 liters!) most likely a no. Got hold of a bottle for well under that, so that's fine and I'm, happy with it.
      Heavy & sweet.. The alcohol comes on a bit too strong at first, so I let it sit in the glass for 15 Minutes. The sticky sweetness of a Christmas market tea house. Dried fruit, caramel popcorn and just a hint of withered wet wood (in a good way, I like that). A few drops of water open it up a little bit but mainly make the alcohol sharpness more prominent, so a short wait is appropriate before nosing again. With water a bit more floral. I like it better without water.
    • Taste
      Comes on strong for 48 % ABV. Very sweet but not so sticky anymore. A bit of burnt caramel in the background. Nice notes from the sweet wine casks, not too harsh, though. A bit of dark chocolate after a while. Pleasant.
      Medium-long. Fades out nicely with winegum sweetness and dark chocolate. But not much new to discover here.

2. wbarchive_258409 scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

I love sweet whisky, and 164758 has been the most expressive whisky in terms of sweetness, on which I measure / compare / relativate whiskys of similar category. Starward Dolce is a Single Malt Australian whisky, my first Australian, supposedly matured in a dessert wine barrel. If you tried dessert wine before (I strongly recommend Erasmo from Chile), you know what sweetness is about. The distiller characterizes it as showing signs of dried fruit, toasted marshmallow and cola. My nose agrees with the dried fruit part. It really smells similar to a classic Single Malt Scotch. I further sense rotten Haribo, foul candy, melted sugar cotton - somehow very funny. The first sip: Strong alcohol! Doesn't taste like 48%, maybe 50-51%, but definitely not strong cask strength. I whirl the liquid around my tongue. Yes, sweet. Not some sticky sweetness, doesn't remind me on toasted marshmallow either. The cola probably comes from the aftertaste: It reminds me on licorice. In the finish, you feel more bitterness than sweetness. The bitterness sticks to the very final moment. ... ... ... 2 minutes later, the sweetness is long gone, the finish was quite short, the bitterness is still on my tongue. Definitely an interesting and unusual whisky, a nice change from the standard Scotch range, but not something you'd drink on daily basis. It's fun for a birthday party or having a sample session with friends. I'm sure people will have very different views and opinions on this one. You gotta try it yourself.