79.00/100
Morrison Scotch Whisky Distillers (MD)
International Whisky Society
International Whisky Society
08 Nov 2020 3:03 pm by Fabian

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Auchroisk NAS MD

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 79.00 points

1. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

This bottle was given to us by the board of the IWS to compensate the cancelation of this years whisky event in The Hague. A very sympathetic gesture! And besides that, this whisky is also of very deserving quality. I don’t have that much experience with Auchroisk so therefore it’s an interesting bottling for me personally. I did some background checking and a member of the board told me it’s a vatting of three fresh bourbon barrels. The youngest being 6 and the oldest being 14 years old.
      Smooth and very accessible. A good balance to it. Typical bourbon influences. Sweet, sour and a tad earthy. Pleasant so far! I get peach, unripe pear, pineapple juice, rhubarb, tea and tea leafs. Also I get vanilla, licorice, nougat, sawdust and mild white pepper.
    • Taste
      On the palate again it gives sweet and sour sensations. It’s friendly, smooth, and again accessible. It’s I get some rechar sensations. Freshly toasted and charred oak quite instantly. Besides that vanilla, some coconut and ginger. Also I get lime juice. It’s quite tasteful.
      A medium-long finish. In the finish some more youthfulness shines through but in a good way. It makes this whisky rather fun and playful. It’s being translated in fresh, malty and corn-like flavors. It keeps tingling the palate quite a while.

I will have no problem at all emptying this complimentary bottle.

2. Erik1908 scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

A gentle gift for the members of the IWS who bought a ticket for the festival in den Haag, which of course got cancelled due to obvious reasons.

Auchroisk, a rather unknown distillery; at least to me. As such I was pretty curious to check this bottle.
      When poured in the glass, it is really shy. This one needs obviously some time in the glass. In combination with warmth from the hand, it opens up after some 15-20 minutes.
      It has a typical very fruity ,grassy and fresh Speyside character with some mild spicy flavors.
    • Taste
      Pretty tasty and good body with a nice balance of again fruity and mild spicy flavors. Easy drinkable; more a summer dram than an autumn whisky. In the throat a strange flavor I cannot recognize; this does not spoil things for me.
      Not too long. More spicy flavors in the finish.