69.67/100
Strength
04 nov 2020 9:06 am by peatbogger
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredSingle Cask Whisky

Whisky reviews for Isle of Jura 2008 LsD

2 users have left 2 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 69.67 points.

1. peatbogger scored this whisky 68 points Specialist

I struggle with Jura. I've struggled with Jura ever since my first taste of the 10YO 3 decades ago.
    I have had the same trouble with other distilleries core range and managed to get over it with some much better IB's.
    This one certainly didn't tip the scale the same way.
    According to the label on Hepburn's Choice this series "showcases each distillery's character", and that probably explains my ongoing struggle.
      Right from the pour it doesn't start off too bad, although very light.
      Citric, unripe yellow fruit.
      However the longer it sits and longer I smell it all the more fragrances I'm not too fond of start to develop.
      The wood is weak and off, and it reminds me more and more of new make.
    • Taste
      It arrives sweet with a build up of spice.
      Something undefined light chocolaty.
      But as I swallow I get that feeling of new make again.
      This is a single refill cask, and based on colour as well as taste after 10 years I have to ask how many times refilled?
      The spice warms for a short while, but there's little taste. Bitter dry tobacco leaf and light astringent metallic.
      This could just as well have been a poor tequila.

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 2 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. karloff scored this whisky 57 points Specialist

This was a sample courtesy of Peatbogger.
    I think Jura needs to get their shit together because the stuff I have been tasting lately is shocking. Hepburn's Choice? More like Sophie's Choice.
      My God when I read Peatbogger's review and he mentioned new make i thought he was taking the piss but it really is quite dominant. WTF is going on here?
      It also smells like grain as well.
      Or maybe rain water in a metal bucket.
      There are some fruit notes there but they have to scream and shout to make themselves known.
    • Taste
      First sip i was swilling it around my mouth for a while and I thought this isn't nearly as bad as the nose and then I swallowed it and it quickly nosedived.
      Lots of spice but nothing to go with it, to balance it or to compliment it.
      More of that new make/ grain taste.
      The finish is so short it's an abrupt end.
      It just leaves a bitter dry taste and the spice is just left on it's own with nowhere to go.

KVK: 60207205