83.00/100

USD$ 46.99

1 member rating

one in collection

Whisky Reviews for Belle Grove 1797 Whiskey

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.00 points

1. Johannes de Silentio scored this whisky 83 points Member Senior

Color: Copper

Nose: Creamy milk chocolate is the first thing to strike me, which is an odd note for whiskey, but there we are. There's obviously still alcohol present, so in many ways this is most reminiscent of a chocolate stout beer. Maybe nosing it quickly as I was deciding what to call the color influenced me somehow, because I'm also getting a slightly metallic tinge. There's also a little bit of wood spice that's pretty common in American whiskies, but this is in no way a quintessential bourbon that's huge on oak, vanilla, and caramel. Definitely a bit whackier and subtler. A little bit of water does some good, actually (sort of surprised me). It mellows out the chocolatey sweetness and makes it smell more integrated.

Taste: Pretty decent arrival in a structural sense. There is no perceptible heat, which makes sense given that this was bottled at America's 46%, namely, 45% (90 proof, for whatever reason that silly doubling mechanism is still used here). Moreover, the mouthfeel is pleasantly coating. Beyond that, it's sort of a continuation of the nose. While that's not awful, it's also not great. I'm generally not drinking spirits to taste something kind of like chocolate milk. Beyond that, the main notes are oak and metal. While the oak isn't overpowering, it's still present without much else to counteract it. Water isn't as helpful here as with the nose.

Finish: The metal is what lingers, and it does for a little while.

Comments: I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this. Part of me figured it might just be an everyday bourbon-style (I don't believe this is bourbon--it's not called that, at least--because it was likely not matured entirely in virgin oak). It's not. And while I can't say I love it, I find it interesting and not poorly-made. That's a winner given that I paid less than $50 for it.