87.61/100
5020613078062
14 oct 2020 11:17 pm by maltaholic
Single Cask Whisky

Whisky reviews for Glenury Royal 1984 GM

8 users have left 8 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 87.61 points.

1. Cheesehut-Fellows scored this whisky 79 points Expert Senior

Very sad that they filled this sour and raisin-laden and slightly rotten dram in this series. For me, the cask has a failure. Nice Balsamico though ????. Very unusual. Forgive my honesty... Had it with several guys, all agreed.

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 8 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. Jens2020 scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

Remember this is the absolute last bottling of Glenury Royal ever

4. Killswitch scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

• Taste

5. Trivial scored this whisky 2 points Expert Senior

We had a sample...Sry but it tasted like vinegar & after a sip we put the rest into the Drain

6. Dronach_Aficionado scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

• Taste

7. supernate scored this whisky 94 points Member Senior

8. ReKnird scored this whisky 69 points Member Senior

I got a sample from a friend. My friend say feel sulfur strongly, he gave it to me for experience.

I was surprised when I put it in a glass and smelled the scent. What a dark fruit, I strongly felt the scent of dried figs. This is a very pleasant scent for me.

I might have been happy if I stopped. No one stopped tasting. It's too late to put it in my mouth. It emitted a lot of sulfur.

9. Horror_Vacui scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

Nose:
    Initially sour, cranberry, date, walnut caramelized in cane sugar, black currant. Dark fruity with sour accents.
    In the meantime, the smell is also reminiscent of the meat juice of wild boar and beef, especially with a little hand warmth.
    Baked cocoa and coconut oil, cane sugar and cardamom produce more standing time and more air.

Mouth:
    Very, almost borderline, bitter, the mouth contracts. Reminds me of the effect in the mouth of the first time trying dark chocolate with> 90% cocoa content.
    After a short acclimatization, very dark fruity, again partly associations of meat juice and seared game, dates, cranberries. The whole time accompanied by a certain sour note. Gingerbread cookies and forest honey in the background.
    With time and dilution with saliva in the mouth, the bitterness takes over again. It feels like chewing on roasted coffee beans in a dark chocolate coating.

Finish:
    What remains is a cane sugar sweetness that quickly gives way to a pleasant bitterness. Medium-long finish, the bitterness changes from mocca to semi-dark chocolate. A hunch must and dark fruit.

89/100

Conclusion:
    This bottling didn't press the right buttons for me, the bitterness was too dominant for me at the start and after a while in the mouth, the sour note was sometimes too concise for me.
    That prevented me from being rated over 90/100.
    Nonetheless, an interesting sherry barrel whisky that often reminded me of a certain Armagnac in the nose (Darroze Domaine de Bellair 50yo)

KVK: 60207205