- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Virgin Oak Series - Chinquapin Oak
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- Bourbon Barrel - Chinquapin Virgin Oak Finish
- Number of bottles
- 48.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 11 Oct 2020 10:11 pm by peatbogger
12 × in wishlist
85 × member ratings
207 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glenallachie 12-year-old
27 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.17 points
- Youtube Blind Tasting Review: https://youtu.be/rl9_ValCp4k
- I had all 3 GAs of the Virgin Oak Series in my glass at the same time, they are quite different, but nobody really convinced me - I have a hard time with Virgin Oak
at first rather closed - perfumed soap, grape marc, in the background a light note of cheese
Ripe hazelnuts - hot, sour, soapy, lavender bubble bath, milk cream filling of a children's bar - fills the mouth with a full-bodied sugar sweetness
surprisingly long, nutty, dry fruit sweetness, oak-spicy
malty sweetness, a little bubble gum, a little wood
a little spice second, a little toasted, wood shavings, more subtle, less fruity
explosion of spices on the palate, tannin, dry wood, liquorice, a little orange zest,
vanilla then, a little caramel, the spices come back, in fact a bubbly sensation with scents undifferentiated compared to the 2 other Spanish and French virgin.
monolithic, vanilla, woody.
18-month finish in virgin American barrels
to note capacity to date of 100,000 barrels.
2nd dram more spicy and in the vein of a blended with leveling of flavors.
- Tønden online tasting.
Golden. Sweet malty, white pepper, vanilla, light spicy. Light body.
- Very tasty part. Yellow and orange fruits and lots of vanilla, especially in the smell
- Chinquapin is an American oak, which grows particularly in Missouri and gives a spicy flavor to the whisky. This whisky ages most of the time in ex bourbon casks and for the last 18 months in chinquapin virgin oak
vinous, very fragrant, sweet and spicy, creamy, very reminiscent of rye whisky, gum, licorice, lots of banana
very spicy, sweet, creamy and fruity
very spicy (paprika) and creamy
- would only take if offered for free while I am desperate to drink with no other choices available.