- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 20 years old
- Double Matured in Oloroso & PX Casks
- Number of bottles
- 50.7 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- David Simson
- United Kingdom
- Added on
- 03 Oct 2020 12:06 am by Whisky_Addicted
92 × in wishlist
118 × member ratings
349 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Bowmore 20-year-old
18 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.06 points
- Jim McEwan describes this as one of the best whiskies he ever made - comparable to Black Bowmore.
- I never had a Black Bowmore in my glass, but it must hell good!
And this is, I would expect, compared to a Bowmore Black way worse ;) Nevertheless, opened the bottle after a nice tasting including a Glenallachie 1989 and a Royal Mile 40 Blended Malt and I just can say it was phenomenal. You think of a Glendronach Parliament all the time when it comes to the maturing of this Bowmore, the age is close to it as well. And it is really enjoyable straight from the bottle into the glass without any dilution.
Sweet Bowmore smoke, dark fruits, perfectly integrated alcohol as it should be with around 50% anyway. Voluminous, warming and charming.
In the mouth oily and complex, this is Bowmore at its best. Could even be a little bit stronger, but this is critizing on a high level.
All in all, also for a higher price, this bottle should be opened and not kept for making profit. Really nice stuff!
Close to the 1997 dstillery manager's selection.
- price in distillery in October 2020: 219 pounds
- 22.5-23-23-22.5 Bowmore sweet smoke, perfectly integrated alcohol
sweet smoke, cherries, notes of skin
fatty, oily, spicy and sweet, complex
the finish is quite long, notes of skin and dark fruit
- Shop info: "It has spend 15 years in oloroso casks and 5 years in PX casks."
- I bought two bottles and got a sample with them. This is actually the best Bowmore I've tasted so far. In my opinion it even surpasses the ingenious Bowmore 30 years Sea Dragon.
Delicate smoky sugars, chocolate, pralines, theres something coastal about this one which i rarely see in aged bowmores, light menthol, cinnamon, that might sounds weird but theres a slight sauternes wood smell coming in deeper. I could nose this for hours. Completely wonderful
Rich, oily, complex oh wowww!!! The age in PX is just phenomenal. It brings all the good wood & spices balance. Not too much spices from the oloroso, i guess its shutting down the px sugar a bit. Which is wonderful. Red fruits, marmelade, just so comforty.
Red fruits from the PX, delicate smoke in the background, chocolate, some small bitterness from the oloroso which stays for a while.