Daftmill 2009

Bottled for
La Maison Du Whisky
24 Sep 2020 10:41 pm by Whisky_Addicted

Whisky Reviews for Daftmill 2009

10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.95 points

1. florian09 scored this whisky 92 points Member Senior

The nose is quite closed at the start. Some notes of fresh nuts, undergrowth and dusty old books. Looks like an old malt, I feel like it has a lot to give but is holding back a bit at the moment.
    After 20-30 minutes of ventilation, that's it. There is always that "veil" of old malt at the start and then tropical fruits literally emerge from the glass. The palate is lively but the alcohol is remarkably well integrated (60.6% all the same!). Fruits take center stage, we find the dusty old book side in the middle of the mouth as well as candle wax; there is also tobacco and a very pleasant light woody bitterness.
    The finish is long, hot and spicy.
    Simply beautiful, each to their own as they say but I can't help but think that the samples of some (informed) tasters had a problem ...

2. Piazzolla scored this whisky 75 points Member Senior

That some are happy with this bet, so much the better for them (how many bottles sold more expensive if not?), But for my part, tasted blind, well it is probably the worst whisky tasted for a long time!
    Alcoholic, aggressive, with totally artificial and repulsive aromas (especially sulfur).

3. Benny Lava scored this whisky 94 points Member Junior

Nice balance of exotic fruits, mangos and papayas, as well as citrus with pink grapefruits. Also fine mix of some tobacco and honey

4. Ramuntxo scored this whisky 76 points Member Junior

We look for fruit and we find sulfur, we look for liquorice and precious wood and we find bitter and alcoholic wood. We just want it to end.

5. Donwaldorf scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

This is another great success from Daftmill. A nice Sherry but not only .... There are fruit and other surprises.
      First of all, there is a nice blend of Sherry and exotic fruits.
      Then the nose evolves towards mirabelle plums and dried fruits (hazelnuts ....)
    • Taste
      It is not alcoholic, the integration is mastered.
      We have honey, dried fruits, exoticism, citrus fruits and a touch of sulfur.
      Nice length, creamy, warm on citrus and fruit compote.

6. Mikymouse scored this whisky 94 points Newbie

Exotic fruits, lemon, honey, impressive finish (resinous)
    I have several daftmill and this one is the best, I would like to compare with the British editions, but considering the prices ...

7. lincolnimp scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Tasting this neat it is sweet with a little sulphur so I will add some water.
    with water, this gets sweeter and I don`t agree that the sulphur spoils this as others have mentioned. I am really sensitive to sulphur and overly Woody whisky, you would not expect too much oak at this age but while there is a bit of sulphur it is with acceptable levels in my view.
    Not as good as the bourbon cask 37 for Japan I tried immediately before this but a decent dram nonetheless but that little bit of sulphur drops it some marks

8. Tastingbros scored this whisky 91 points Expert Junior