Longrow 18-year-old

700 ml 750 ml
20/69
13 Sep 2020 10:54 pm by Prodigy

Whisky Reviews for Longrow 18-year-old

38 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.14 points

1. Palindrome scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Less peaty than usual, and the nose and mouth are far sweeter than past years. This dram is complex but tightly wound together.

Nose and mouth are similar: wet wool sweater after playing in the snow; burlap, muslin curtains, silly putty, rhubarb pie, very slight caramel, wet sand, white pepper, spices in an old fashioned dense carrot cake, molasses, sea salt, minerals that are a bit like the LB 16: paraffin, wax, clean mechanics garage, coastal brine. On the mouth only: fresh Band Aids, juniper sap, ochre. bee pollen. And bitterness on the finish that must be from the wood. It's not astringent at all but it is fairly pronounced.

The peat is subtle. Not really much like a Longrow but in this case that is favorable. The poor man's LB 16. A bit flatter and less radiant but in the same vein. I often want more peat from a Springbank. This is in between a Springbank and a Longrow. I would call it a successful experiment. Glass is worth nosing after the dram is finished. Read a book for once as you enjoy this dram, why don't you? Sit in an old leather chair. Pet your dog's head occasionally. Consider burning that Cohiba you've been saving for a special occasion. This holiday season is shot anyway. There's no time like the present.
    -------------------------------
    As my bottle oxydizes, the peat is picking up steam. It's becoming more Longrow-like but in a good way. I like this one!

I prefer to drink Longrow 18 2020 after first sipping the lastest IAAS in my glass (without rinsing). I can't express how well the IAAS 3 dried effluvium compliments a small pour of the Longrow 18. It's just sublime. This said, I am not a fan of rumwood with Springbank whiskies in general. I prefer the 2018 over this year's. The 2019 said it didn't have rum, but I think it did have some rum wood. The 2018 is the purist's dram, and the 2015 is even better IMO. I gave the 2018 a score of 89. I couldn't to that high on this bottle. It's the bitter note in the finish that put me off. I couldn't bump up the 2018 Longrow 18 to a 90 so I had to go with a score of 88 for this year's release. It's quite fun and entertaining and I don't regret buying two bottles.
    -----------------------------------------------
    New update: I just opened a 2018 Longrow 18. I definitely like it better than the 2020. I noticed the score is considerably lower on WB. I find that interesting. I also just opened the Cadenheads Ledaig 12 54.9. I like it better slightly than a Lagavulin 12 2017 that I have open as well. The Lag is nice but it's got this sort of mid-range bombast that is less interesting and less complex than the single cask Ledaig.
    -------------
    Update: mouth note like the smell of a grungy old used car battery (the powdery cake that collects) is bringing this one down one point after being open for many months. This 2020 is not one of my favorite 18's any longer. I'm fairly sure the rum wood ruined this for me. For me, rum wood and Longrow peat do not mix well. My favorite exotic wood for the Longrow is Madeira. Im not a big fan of the Red series. but the old Longrow Madeira is among my favorite whiskies of all time . . . so so good.

Truth be told, tho, I really do prefer just an old cask strength Longrow with no sweet woods at all. Anything 16 years or older at cask strength with maybe a combination of fresh and refill bourbon casks. Maybe a marriage of casks for that. I would love to see a small batch of something like that from Springbank.

Here is my "desert island" perfect Longrow small batch: A fresh bourbon 16 (or 15 or 14); a refill bourbon 16 or 17 year; and a double refill 18 year that is all distillery character and no wood influence much at all. All at CS. That would be incredible. My perfect desert island dram . . . . or my underground bunker dram hiding from roaming prick squads armed with glowy luciferage under the auspices of being "humanitarians." A last rites before the end dram . . . . Long live the Scots! Long live our unsullied DNA!

2. topos did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

very tasty and well done, and certainly those rum casks play well -- echoes of the recent 15yo SB RW here. Unlike last year's (or was it 2018?), no hint of sulphur. Very hard to fault. drop of water doesn't go amiss, but only a little. 8/10
      harmonious casks, this is well put together, well matured and plainly springbankian... smoked caramel, touch of pineapple jam and prunes, good deal of dusty dunnage earth and putty (cf. 15yo SB/RW), smoked grist, rye bread, baked apple, touch of seashells, walnut oil, a little medicinal edge, double dip...
    • Taste
      arrival is mellow but it immediately bursts open with flavour. a great citrus, briny and sherbety edge gives way to a rather juicy midpalate with notable contributions from the sherry casks, slight tobacco, liquorice, dark fruit syrup, choco rum liqueurs (RBG), dunnage, and a bit of manure. finish is long and oily, a little tar, with some sea-stuff joining in (clams, oysters, shells, sand)

3. whiskyinstitut scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

Very noble drop. As always with Longrow 18.
      Aromatic smoke, mineral citrus notes, creme brulee, slightly nutty, forest honey
    • Taste
      Smoky and creamy, again citrus notes, typically mineral, very pleasant, warmth and spice slowly build up
      The smoke remains creamy and sweet on the palate, warming for a long time, very noble

4. Fudschafudscha did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

2020s bottle containing Sherry (55%), ex-Bourbon (25%) and Rum casks (20%) (for the first time)

5. Julia E S scored this whisky 93 points Expert Senior

Very mineral on the nose, mussel shells, salty maritime and, above all, dry, but over time a juicy apricot dumpling emerges, light hints of sherry, subtle sulfur, a bit earthy, dusty and nutty aromas, almond bitter and hazelnut. All aromas can be found in the taste, in the mouth first the apricot dumplings then the sherry before the whisky finishes dry and maritime accompanied the nutty aromas described. The smoke has already cleared away. A very elegant and round whisky.

6. LukeFive scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

Had only a glass but already impressed with the profile and the quality of the dram. Its just delicious, but kinda not easy. The casks composition feels like whole and all integrated together, makes it for quite complex experience. I personaly love the cantaloupe melon note thar appears and disapears through the whole experience, presumably from the rum casks.
    I feel like this dram will be appreciated by experienced palate more and will be a learning experience for the beginner/intermediate drinkers. Im spoiled tonight :)

Looking forward to see how this one improves with time in the bottle.

7. Alezx scored this whisky 90 points Member Junior

Much better than last year's Longrow 18. This one is a big hit! Very complex and finish is amazing.

8. Pinback scored this whisky 91 points Member Senior

The rum is working really well in this Longrow! I like it a lot. I am a fan of the 2017 edition (only sherry and bourbon) as well. Hopefully I can compare these two soon

9. ClixTS scored this whisky 95 points Member Junior

Outstandingly complex

10. thebonewolf scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Pleasant smoke, a humid but dusty storage area, toffee/caramel, Russian rye. There’s really a lot going on here, and those are the only notes I can put to words.
    • Taste
      Fruit gives way to cardboard, to bitter chocolate and back again.
      Sweet, metallic, slight smoke with medicinal touch, sweet citrus. A bit of bitterness. An overall ‘mechanical’ feel.