86.60/100
54A
Strength
13 sep 2020 9:24 pm by keeper01

Whisky reviews for Speyside Hero 2009 WCh

5 users have left 5 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 86.60 points.

1. redlightsflash89 scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

A speysider by wch from Port cask? Yes I really looked forward to this. As I love sherry bottlings from wch I was really looking forward to this whisky.

I love port wine, I love wch, I love speysiders so what could go wrong?

Well, sorry to say this but it is quite generic. No real port influence, just another cask strength speysider. So solid but not extraordinary.

Unfortunately it can't keep up with my expectations, but it is a decent whisky.
      It's funny but I get a strong bourbon and alcohol note at first, absolutely not what I expected. I get grass, cider, Pears, vanilla, and fermented apricots (Schnaps) but the alcohol is really dominating. I get a slight port sweetness but definitely not what I expected.
    • Taste
      Very very smooth I get vanilla, grass, spices that I can't recall , and a slight hint of dark berries and port wine sweetness in the background.
      It starts very spicy and oaky followed by a classic speyside character of fresh cut grass, apricots, Elderflower, Pears, a nice fruit salad. But it is very stingy and the alcohol is very dominant. It takes a while but in the end I might be able to taste a port wine cask. Not sure though.

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 5 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. ThorstenH scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Reminds me of Springbank.
      First wood notes, then New Year's Eve, then some dark fruit and black tea are added, but the blasts remain.
      Connects to the nose.
      Sweet notes, tea.

4. DenverbroncosDuke scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur

Crispy corn, soft sweetness from rich red fruits, raspberries, dark sweet cherries
    • Taste
      Slightly sulphurous, becoming somewhat unpleasantly bitter, strong oak tannins, somewhat overlaid
      Minimal smoke note, very dry, strong wood spices

5. Daniel Hohleweg scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur