- Whiskybase ID
- Blended Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Mars Maltage 3 plus 25
- Stated Age
- 28 years old
- Number of bottles
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 30 aug 2020 9:25 pm
10 × in wishlist
55 × member ratings
52 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Mars 28-year-old
8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.49 points
- Almonds, fruit compote, spices vanilla, honey, very easy to drink
- Pretty balanced, very drinkable and enjoyable, I like it
Nutty, old wood furniture, dry hay, cooked fruits, hints of acacia honey, spices, cloves, nutmeg, notes of sherry wood, coffee powder - quite balanced, very good
Oily, creamy, good sweetness, little cooked fruits and dried fruits, nutty, fine oak wood
Medium long, warm, more spicy, little wood but not drying
- Tasted this again tonight and it's still a 90 point whisky. The nose is a bit closed... had this slight spicy, alcoholic sting to it, with some citrus and oak. I usually associate Japanese whisky with having a good nose, so this was a bit of a letdown. On the palate, there is sweet plums, a bit of incense (a very Japanese quality that you find in Hanyu), less concentrated smooth pu'er tea, but for the most part, it's just pretty benign. Not that it's not good, but I expected more for a whisky that won some award some years ago (I forgot what). Finish is average. I'll chug this for sure, if I was fabulously wealthy, and it's very good, but this is definitely NOT a great whisky.
- whiskey consisting of a malt of at least 3 years from the distillery of Kagoshima then aged 25 years in Shinshu. Gold color, nose on apricot, citrus, lemon, seems a little tart, wax, honey. Mouth sweet, honeyed, vanilla, greedy, beautiful thick texture, citrus, we find the acidulous side, coffee and caramel in the background, spices on the finish. Finale of medium length, a little more spicy. A whiskey especially pleasant in the mouth by its sweet honey.
- "This whiskey indicates its age in the form 3 + 25 instead of 28 because it is actually composed of a malt of at least 3 years from the distillery of Kagoshima then aged 25 years in Shinshu". Source: whiskey-japanese.net
- A "pure malt" containing whisky produced at Yamanashi (1960-1969) and Kagoshima (1978-1984) distilleries.
- Winner of WWA
- I was really getting into this one. It would be great to have a bottle.
A really beautiful old oak nose with no bitterness or mustiness. Prune juice caramelised sugar and dried tobacco leaf.
A light armagnac start that fades, but remains a theme. The tobacco and sugar light up your palate along with tiny flashes of liquid liquorice.
Not powerful, but lovely little malty sugary flashes with the recurring armagnac giving it charm.
Add tasting tags by clicking the flavours you recognized in this whisky.