The Lakes Colheita

60 ml 700 ml
21 Aug 2020 5:45 pm by holborndrinker

£ 72.21

Whisky Reviews for The Lakes Colheita

9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.93 points

1. Official tasting note

official information:
    The Whiskymaker’s Editions are exceptional diversions from our sherry-led house style; one-off releases showcasing the sense of adventure of our whiskymaker – Dhavall Gandhi – in cask selection, maturation and blending. Each Edition is an expression of creative freedom; the product of a playground where instinct, experience and inspiration roam free, coming together to realise our intrinsic objective – the creation of outstanding flavours.

Colheita (Col-yate-a) means “harvest”, referring to the exclusive use of grapes from a single crop to create a vintage Tawny Port. In this Edition, the whiskymaker’s cask and maturation expertise brings Colheita Port into the frame, in combination with a small proportion of bourbon barrels.

The nose is vibrant and fruity with hints of plums, spiced pickled cherries and candied orange; the palate is complex with notes of prunes, stewed plums and warming cinnamon with a lasting finish.

Enjoy as you please. Try adding a few drops of water to open up the flavours.

2. peatbogger scored this whisky 83 points Specialist

Thanks to karloff for another taste of untraveled territory.
    Nice presentation, and I like the fact that they state the source of the Port casks.
    Bottling this at 52% was a wise decision, and hopefully a proof they know what they are doing. A whisky as sweet as this needs that extra "oompf" to not come across as "sugar water".
      Nice quality Port notes.
      Concentrated cooked prunes and red fruits.
      Sweet with a little zest on the edge.
      The higher alc is right on the edge where you notice it is above "average" without getting stung in the nose.
    • Taste
      Sweet and spicy, but both on an acceptable level.
      Full and rich body.
      It hangs well in an oily way on the glass wall, and it is reflected in the sticky mouthfeel.
      I added a little water to the last few sips in the glass.
      It dilutes the oily and sticky mouthfeel, reduces the spice considerably, but does nothing to the sweetness, so it kind of throws it off balance.
      Close to a long finish with spices fading slowly from a borderline tingly level. Ending on sweet red fruits.

3. karloff scored this whisky 81 points Specialist

The first half of this bottle I drank in grief so I couldn't tell you much about that but I thank it as it got me through a difficult night.
    I have been waiting a long time to try a single malt from this distillery. I visited it about five years ago, a beautiful distillery in a beautiful part of the world.
    I commend them for releasing it at 52% and it's flawed but at the same time enjoyed it's company. I'm optimistic for the future.
    My daughter was given this and she gave it to me, would my score be different if I paid for it? I suppose we will never know.
      The nose isn't that strong on this or am I having a night off.
      Looks like I'm going to have to put some work in which really isn't a good start.
      Tinned plum juice, blood orange, wine gum sweets, a little bit of plastic. Do I really need to add water to bring out more flavours, looks like it.
      A few drops of water and the only change is that it becomes more like a cheap perfume.
      I think I preferred it how it was.
    • Taste
      At 52% this is perfectly palatable but I must say I find it a bit too sweet.
      This is not a total disaster, personally a little less sweet would be better, same goes for the spice.
      All the few drops of water did was calm the spice down a smidgen but the sweetness is still there.
      It's going down perfectly well so that is something.
      The finish is quite long and that tangy spice does linger to a dry tingling mouthfeel. With water those red dry fruits overtake the spice to win the race for the death.

4. Diekerelvandinges scored this whisky 62 points Member Junior

Fresh, like a lake, almost like flowers in summer. Hints of grains and red wine. Suddenly I was convinced it smelled like butter and that threw me off.
    • Taste
      Brown sugar, dark beer, caramel and salty popcorn.
      Soy sauce, the aftertaste of a sweet cocktail, dark rum, bitters, brown sugar.

5. wingo did not rate this whisky Newbie

Smoke
    Honey

6. dramidaris scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

7. Odinson scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

8. Cipidos scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

9. FrankH scored this whisky 88 points Member Senior

This Whiskymaker's Edition Colheita is pretty young. And there is a lot of alcohol. But there is also a lot of aroma and taste. The port cask is not too dominant.

This scotch needs some air to breathe and some water to bring down the alcohol. But then it is really delicious. I am very curious about the future expressions of The Lakes Disty. with more maturation. Expectations are high.