Glen Scotia 11-year-old

Strength
03 Aug 2020 3:24 pm by davidmarcos
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Glen Scotia 11-year-old

14 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 81.30 points

1. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Well...this is weird. Not particularly a liquid business card for Glen Scotia IMHO..once in a while you run into a whisky that is an insult, even for your sink or toilet. Sulphur allover the place
      Cheap caramel fudge, sickning vanilla milkshake. And something I get for the first time: Garbage bags...rotten fruits. It would not surprise me at all if this cask has been molded from top to bottom.
    • Taste
      Weird taste. It’s stinging on the tongue, it’s unbalanced and cheap. I really get the feeling someone switched this stuff with some cheap ass blended Scotch.
      In the finish sour and rotten. Unfortunately the finish is not short enough, this is something to forget very very fast. Weird moldy and rotten strawberries, Outdated raisins and rotten oak. Blegh. Rotten eggs remain.

2. RobbievdB did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Whoever approved this for bottling was either completely wasted or mentally insane. This is like the devil pissing on your tongue instead of the version with the angel. Imagine vanilla milkshake that has been out in the sun all day, rotting veggies, sulfur etc. It’s so rotten this tingles on your tongue. I had 30-40mls out of a 100ml sample but knew enough. Still hearing my sink and sewage downstairs complaining. On the positive side, pest control won’t be needed around my house for quite a while. Not even rating this.. just giving a clear DONT BUY advice.

3. MaltMusings scored this whisky 75 points Expert Senior

Appearance: Mid gold in colour, a hint of red? Swirls cling to the glass as a hairline crack, take an age to bead up and fall as thin oily legs.

Nose: Musty dunnage warehouse notes - strawberry jam but also other dark fruit and berries - plums, dates, black cherries, blackberries. I keep thinking peat smoke but them say there isn't any... cask char maybe?

Palate: Smooth very sweet arrival, hints of toffee, honey and tropical fruit then the spice kicks in - Christmas spices - cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and a little dried fruit. There is a weird cardamom note here too.

Finish: Long lingering spice, very drying and that cardamom note again.

Overall: Wow I think I've just tried the first Glen Scotia I wasn't keen on... It seems to have lost it's Campbeltown DNA - no smoky salinity, no oak led spice. There is the oily appearance and a little tropical fruit but I'm not convinced. I know this is a special release and is supposed to be a little different but if I'd blind tasted it I'd never have said Glen Scotia. That said it is a nice dram, sherry led but not a sherry bomb by any means. I'll definitely be buying a bottle for over Christmas, I'm sure it will go really well with cheese but I'll keep going back to the Tawny Port for my Glen Scotia fix.

4. mattheww scored this whisky 81 points Expert Senior

very special"...

5. Balticsailor68 scored this whisky 76 points Expert Junior

I really do like Glen Scotia. But this release is not worth to be tasted. Alcoholic sharp, despite 54 % vol. thin and something unpleasant I can´t identify.

6. lustaufwhisky scored this whisky 84 points Expert Junior

An unusual Glen Scotia here, dry plums, fizzy drinks and cheese stand out. You have to like that.

7. bergisch scored this whisky 77 points Member Senior

Sharp on the nose. Maybe some dusty dried orange zest. Strong alcohols with bitterness and sulphury notes. Might work as a medicinal product..

8. gezzabel scored this whisky 55 points Newbie

I didn't enjoy this malt as I have other Glen Scotia releases. The nose was what i can only describe as so sickly sweet it didn't seem natural. Like artificial caramel and vanilla. Did they put Nesquik in the barrel?! It was really hard to get beyond this and left a very sickly sweet feeling on the palate. A really bizarre bottling which offers none of the typical features of a Campbeltown malt. Not a patch on the glorious 15 y/o. It's so weird, it's almost worth getting a sample just to experience it! Definitely not for me though.

9. Erik1908 scored this whisky 72 points Expert Senior

Glen Scotia, one of my favorite distilleries. I have tasted some really good ones and this distillery never disappointed me. Until today. When my friends asked me to take part in a bottle share for this 11y old, I did not hesitate. An 11y old Scotia at CS for a fair price. What could go wrong?

Well actually a lot. Just imagine you open up the refrigerator and you no immediately that something in there has passed the expiration date; but what?

Who on earth has authorized to bottle this? This smells bad like rotten food. Was there something wrong with the cask? Did they found something dead in there when bottling this whisky?

The taste isn't any better. Alcoholic, dry, spicy and bitter. Nothing pleasant to be found.

Simple advise: do not buy this whisky. My 10cl or what's left of it will go down the sink.

72 Points, and today is a positive day. I for sure do not understand the 90 point scores by some members here.

10. myspringbankhell scored this whisky 83 points Member Junior

There is a great malt hiding underneath a blanket of Farmyard fumes. If you can get past that there is huge gummy chewy fruity sweets. This could be amazing, but the stink on the nose dominates. I can only think that the original FF Bourbon casks were stinkers and then they got some PX and OL to disguise. Despite the excess funk I have grown to enjoy it.