Caperdonich 18-year-old - Peated

LKRP 0588 2020/02/04
24 jul 2020 8:43 am by Likudi
Non-chillfiltered

Whisky reviews for Caperdonich 18-year-old - Peated

14 users have left 14 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 87.37 points.

1. Dominique69 scored this whisky 86 points Photo Moderator

2. dram-drinker scored this whisky 84 points Photo Moderator

Starts good on the nose, quite peaty, little bit thin and short afterwards
      Smoke, some peat, little fruity, pineapple, peach, honeydew, spices, herbs, cigar tobacco, little medicinal, hints of solvent, vanilla
    • Taste
      Oily, fruity, vanilla, honey, subtle sweetness, peaty, herbs, spices
      Medium short, peaty, herbal

3. whisky_knight scored this whisky 55 points Expert Senior

Caveat: I’m not a peated whisky fan, but I am starting to appreciate more and more specific peated whiskies, depending on the style (e.g., Benriach’s Smoky Twelve (with Highlands peat), Port Charlotte, etc.). While this Caperdonich 18 Year Old Peated Small Batch Release (Batch # CP/002) was thankfully not as pungent as some of Islay’s heaviest (like Laphroaig 10), this demolished Speyside bottling had peat that was like a mix of Highlands-style peat and a bit of Islay peat. That Elmer’s School Glue and Bandaids initial nose was distinct but not really something I seek out.

The palate is more smoke (intense), and then it veered into Islay herbal, antiseptic peat notes, spice, and then a bit of generic fruit sweetness.

I’m glad I got to try a Caperdonich by the dram, but not sure it’s something I’d seek out again.
      Bandaids, Elmer's School Glue(!) (yes, that basic arts & crafts glue you used to use as a kid for school projects), but then more of a Highlands-style peat, clean, lightly smoky notes start to take over. Getting beyond the peat, some fruits, maybe red apples start to appear.
    • Taste
      Intense smoke hits you on the front palate, some herbal, antiseptic peat notes (this is starting to veer towards some Islay peat), some tar, nondescript fruit sweetness (barely) appears after. Ginger spiciness is present throughout, but that first hit of smoke dominates so you almost don’t notice the spice at first.
      Long, smoky char, bonfire, some fading antiseptic peat notes.

4. peatbogger scored this whisky 91 points Specialist

Thanks to karloff for sharing what I believe is my first Capperdonich. And 18 is not a bad place to start?
    I have to say this had some character, and in a positive way.
    I love whiskies that bring surprise and challenge,
    It's not a particularly cheap bottle, so would I buy one if I came across it? Oh yeah!
      Wafts of peat reach me as soon as I poured the glass.
      Then putting the nose closer I catch the perfumey notes.
      A bit strange and unusual, I just hope I don't start frothing when tasting.
      Give it a little time and the peat gets quite mellow, something between Islay and Highland.
      Bright, more citric than fruity.
      Leaving the glass for a while then picking it back up gives some really strong and clear menthol notes.
      It's different... I like different, even when it reminds me of peated mouthwash.
    • Taste
      Arrives hot on spices, then a real hit of peat.
      The perfume I got on the nose is just about noticeable before it twists it's way into a sweet fruitiness.
      The menthol was not noticeable until I drew my breath, then definitely there.
      It's long and sweet, a strange mix of perfumed peated fruit sweet.
      A hint of menthol remains as I chew on it.
      I really like this.

5. Baanaanaabob scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Medicinal peat, some fruits, not really much else but pleasant enough.

6. karloff scored this whisky 90 points Specialist

I can't understand some of these negative reviews, I don't have blinkers on I've called it as it is. I do have a bit of a romantic connection with this distillery as I have one of their old barrels but I think I'm experienced enough now to call it for what it is.
      This is Brine mixed with soap, a weird combination and I kind of like it, it's something different from the normal Peated whisky.
      There are fruit notes of lemongrass and citrus.
      It starts of well balanced but the more you nose it the more the peat fades and the fruit takes over.
      Some people are getting artificial notes? Don't smell it myself like.
    • Taste
      When I first opened this it hit the ground running, 48% is good and the peat smoke is instantly there for sure but it's not long before other things start to arrive.
      There is a good balance between the smoke, fruit and spice.
      As I make my way down the bottle I'm not thinking about it too much, just enjoying it and for me that's a good sign of a good whisky.
      That soapy note is in the taste but it is a lot less than in the nose and again it works for me.
      No bum notes in the finish either, no bad bitterness, dryness or dead ends.
      A medium to long and it just sails to the horizon until you can't see it no more.
      It throws me a malt biscuit at the death.

7. Thermidor scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

Tasted blind.

Boy did this one take the entire tasting panel for a ride. It smells a lot like a refill bourbon cask Laphroaig would, except the usual massive woodsmoke and soot are missing in action. So, what on earth is this?
    [A peated Caperdonich? I would never have guessed. It shares some similarities with Torabhaig.]
      Medicinal, with some spicy perfume and iodine added, as well as vanilla. It's like Laphroaig but someone toned down the peat.
    • Taste
      Tarry and medicinal, but not very varied. Some dryness and pencils, but otherwise not much signs of oak. Water doesn't flatten it, but doesn't do much else either. Gentle peatiness that works really well. A good malt, not superb.
      Long on tar and faint medicinal notes, with a bit of wet chalk.

8. P.A.O.K.you_are scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

9. ConvalRen scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

10. GIORGOS scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

11. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

We are sipping from bottle #33197. How big can a small batch be?

C: The peat is upfront, straight ahead and somewhat one-dimensional. Wolfburn-esque in part [who typically use ex-Islay casks to post-peat their spirit], the mouthfeel in comparison to the non-peated expressions is fundamentally different. More importantly, where’s Caperdonich’s fruity honeyed character gone, evident in the first [non-peated] trio.

Scores 83 points

12. Dionysus scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

13. WhiskyRanked scored this whisky 76 points Expert Senior

An assertive nose with Brine and smoke, vanilla, mint and menthol. After sitting for a bit I get a bit of soap.

On the palate I get a quick burst of peaches and tart fruit juice on the palate followed by brine, smoke, and an unfortunate amount of heat.

The burn fades nicely and the finish goes back back to the brine and smoke. Adding a drop of water kindly decreases the brine and brings out some pineapple.

Overall - It's fun to drink something from a closed distillery but other than that this briney, smoky, dram was very two dimensional with the fruit notes being an afterthought.

14. westendmalts scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Why do Chivas have to make their whiskies radioactively coloured with dayglo caramel?

KVK: 60207205