94.16/100
Strength
02 Mar 2008 2:23 pm

€ 8.403,22

Whisky Reviews for Ardbeg 1974

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 94.16 points

1. JackBrian8898 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

whiskynotes said

I have a large amount of old samples waiting in my whisky cupboard, a few hundreds at least, brought together over the last eight years or so. Some magnificent single cask Ardbegs as well, and sometimes I simply don’t find the time to enjoy them (always waiting for a special moment, you know). Here we go with an excellent dram, for no special reason: Ardbeg 1974 cask #5666.

Ardbeg 1974 cask #5666Ardbeg 31 yo 1974 (51,8%, OB 2006, bourbon cask #5666, 168 btl.)
    Nose: walnuts and gentle peat up front, but it develops almond milk (horchata) and lemon sweets as well. Turkish delight! Rosehip syrup? Sweet marzipan. Butter pastry and vanilla. Quite a round nose. Nice turpentine and camphor underneath. A little herbal syrup. Back to vanilla latte. Beeswax. Even hints of musk? Grand. Mouth: less rounded now, highly mentholated. Marzipan again, aromatic pepper, lemon pie and bergamot. Heather. Cinnamon. Still a hint of Turkish delight. Something in between Pu-Erh and Jasmin tea. Sweet liquorice. Hints of Benedictine. The best cough syrup ever. Finish: very long, still sweet, herbal and leathery.
    A magnificent Ardbeg. Surprising sweet notes, floral notes and some of the best herbal liqueurs. Those were the days, my friend. So, you want one? Expect to pay around € 1400 now.
    Score: 94/100

2. ottos scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

My first 'old' Ardbeg, I was lucky enough to score a sample at the Lindores whisky festival. Frankly, this has nothing to do with the 'new' Ardbeg, which is for more peaty and powerful.

This Ardbeg is far more 'civilized', with a great combo of flavours. There's fruity flavors (mango, guave) but also a more 'candy-like' profile, like liquorice, and some flavours that specifically remind me of some candy we eat with the 'Sinterklaas' celebration in Holland. It has a slightly nutty side (almondy) to it, which I usually extremely dislike (being allergic to them), but not nearly bother me as much a usually. There's obviously a medicinal and peaty side to this as well, but not as powerful and overwhelming as the newer bottlings. This is more discrete and really, really delicious.

The finish is long, fat and sweet, not bitter at all (which lots of 30+ year old whiskies have in my opinion, which I dislike).

It's a real shame these kind of bottles are so extremely expensive. I'm very thankful to Geert from Lindores for sharing his samples at such a nice price! I've rated the price at introduction for the sake of the score.
    • Taste