Ardbeg 1974

Market
gb United Kingdom
02 Mar 2008 2:23 pm

Whisky Reviews for Ardbeg 1974

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.50 points

1. ottos scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

My first 'old' Ardbeg, I was lucky enough to score a sample at the Lindores whisky festival. Frankly, this has nothing to do with the 'new' Ardbeg, which is for more peaty and powerful.

This Ardbeg is far more 'civilized', with a great combo of flavours. There's fruity flavors (mango, guave) but also a more 'candy-like' profile, like liquorice, and some flavours that specifically remind me of some candy we eat with the 'Sinterklaas' celebration in Holland. It has a slightly nutty side (almondy) to it, which I usually extremely dislike (being allergic to them), but not nearly bother me as much a usually. There's obviously a medicinal and peaty side to this as well, but not as powerful and overwhelming as the newer bottlings. This is more discrete and really, really delicious.

The finish is long, fat and sweet, not bitter at all (which lots of 30+ year old whiskies have in my opinion, which I dislike).

It's a real shame these kind of bottles are so extremely expensive. I'm very thankful to Geert from Lindores for sharing his samples at such a nice price! I've rated the price at introduction for the sake of the score.
    • Taste