84.43/100
50 ml 700 ml
02 Jul 2020 9:32 pm by niskat

£ 45.00

Whisky Reviews for Dufftown 2008 WhB

4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.43 points

1. Kantenmechaniker scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

But the Octave delivered it in full, now regardless of the art of whisky making, I find the result delicious, I also like to drink a sherry, but that's hard on the border between whisky and fortified sherry, difficult to evaluate, me but then in the end just go to taste with slight deductions on the B grade, actually reminds me a bit of the Cola Ardmores from 2018/2019 (don't know exactly)
      tart, almost a bit of glue, the aromas quite clear, raspberry yoghurt, muesli, nuts, definitely exciting, a little iodine, then like a small stale residue of sherry in the glass, I'm a bit split, I like it intense, but that's already quite put on, after the first sip it is, if you are honest, quite close to a sherry, not that I personally don't like it, but I can understand if you rate it badly
    • Taste
      oily, intense, roasted aromas, raisins, nuts, full load of sherry, then also plums, the mouth is full of taste, almost sticky
      Maggi cabbage, some dark chocolate, here again the raspberry yoghurt, it's quite special and definitely at least a tad over it, nutty, sherry, from whisky

2. redlightsflash89 scored this whisky 85 points Expert Junior

I like the review that kantenmechaniker did and agree with what he is saying so... Just additional notes to that.

This is super intense and I guess a test by whiskybroker on what is possible.

I like it and I also like sherry, but I understand if you despise it.

Would I buy it again? No, am I glad I got it for that price? Yes!
      For me the first dip with my nose says. Whoa is this adhesive? And that smell lingers in the back so for the other parts you have to dig deep. I get rasberries, dark figs, sour cherries in chocolate, ripe grapes, brown sugar, soy sauce, and white wine.
    • Taste
      It is very strong and the nose is confirmed. Sour cherries, cranberries, oak, dark chocolate, cocoa, vinegar, quite strong,and very sherry tasting.
      The finish is very long, but weird and dirty. Again at first I get adhesive notes. This is followed by sour cherries and strong (too strong) oak notes, very bitter, cocoa, leather, wet dirty wood, but again you like it or not. I don't dislike it but you have to get used to it.

3. Campie scored this whisky 84 points Expert Junior

Tasted alongside Dalmore 2007 WhB (Whiskybase ID 161370) and Westport 1997 WhB (Whiskybase ID 170679). This one finished third in my personal ranking.

Nose: blackcurrant, walnuts, pencil shavings, oak, raisins and UHU glue. You know, the one you used in primary school (young little rascals used to inhale that stuff). After a few minutes, the pencil shavings and glue start dominating. Is this a grain whisky ;)?

Taste: better now, the good parts of the nose remain, no more glue and just little oaky bitterness. Raisins, sour cherries and cocoa.

Finish: more of the same, although dominated by the sour cherries and cocoa.

Comment: I'm not too sure what to think of this, perhaps it's not my favourite style (mainly because of the nose), but it's an interesting one for sure.

4. LittlePeat scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

The nose is really okay, I feared worse. Sour cherry and cornel cherry jam clearly, but it's still a whisky. There is also some wood. As well as peanut shells. The jam was made from very overripe fruit. The alcohol doesn't sting, but it's only 53%. The stuff is a bit "morbid", I like that. Lugol's solution? (91 points)

Palate: Very mild, sherry (rather young), lots of wood. Sucked out cherry stones. Somewhat viscous. (91 points)

Finish: Oops, grape skins. I am more familiar with this from wine maturation. In addition, discreetly woody. Dark jam. Gets very dry. Then all of a sudden peanut shells again. (90 points)

Conclusion: Sure, good sherry whisky, not run-of-the-mill, has its peculiarities. Not at all watery on the palate, despite the rather low cask strength.