- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
- Bottling serie
- Oddfellows in the wardrobe
- Stated Age
- 13 years old
- Recharred Hoghshead
- Number of bottles
- 56.9 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 26 Jun 2020 2:14 pm by bvrsky
one in wishlist
10 × member ratings
9 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Royal Brackla SMWS 55.62
4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.86 points
- Royal Brackla 13yo SMWS 55.62 Oddfellows in the Wardrobe 2006, 56.9%. Consumed Oct 2020. Matte pale orange. Aroma is very clean indeed, slightly biscuity but mostly fruity. Restrained. No spiritous notes. Not 'muted' or 'closed' as such - more 'delicate'. The oaky notes come out when they feel like. Taste is bready, yes Speysidey, firmly down the absolute middle of the cut and a good cask. In terms of quality of production it's faultless. When Brackla wants to make a clean, good spirit, they nail it for sure. There's a creaminess to the oak and a soft lingering perception of salt and smoke (maybe from the char). Very well made. Not spectacular or overly complex but just tastes high-end and skilfully executed. Drinks so easily at the ABV and there's not a rough edge in sight. Another really worthwhile offering from SMWS. 3.65/87
- An excellent 55 from SMWS stables, with the beautiful spirit and cask interaction really shining through. Huge notes of old furniture, juicy and fruity spirit, sweet lollies and icing sugar, old world spices and hints of red and fortified wines coming through. A lovely whisky.
- SMWS Tasting Notes: The nose had something intriguingly dusty and woody – wardrobe interiors, attics or old-fashioned weaving looms, with the sweetness of custard Danish, Bounty bars, dolly mixtures, Black Forest gateaux and Oddfellows spicy sweets. The palate also combined wood spice and sweetness – peppercorns, charred casks, ginger snaps, and raspberry jam pips against Acacia honey, toffee, Oreos and pears poached in wine with a Demerara crunch. The reduced nose turned slightly earthy – autumn leaves, oloroso sherry and rum-soaked raisins – marshmallow teacakes, syrup tart and pain au chocolat. The palate now offered Fry’s Turkish Delight, cappuccino, brandy snaps and plenty of nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon.