Longrow 21-year-old

Strength
19/380
22 May 2020 10:11 pm

Whisky Reviews for Longrow 21-year-old

61 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.07 points

1. Dram Dracula scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

Longrow 18 (bottling date 04/2017) vs the new Longrow 21
      Excellent nose. Fresh, oily, more refined than the 18. While the 18 does have a heavier, funky nose, the 21 seems to be fresher, provides more of an oily feel, and has more tertiary aromas.
    • Taste
      The mouthfeel is thinner than the 18, but the 21 does offer a slightly greater complexity, with better development of flavors on the tongue. But this is not miles better than the 18. In terms of quality, this is not unique and in fact, it's similar to many modern, single cask Springbanks.
      It's good, but I guess I wanted a bit more...

2. Palindrome scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

The finish trumps nose and palate by two points. A really complex finish that is almost worth the price tag, ha. Sulfur on the nose and definitely sulfur on the palate. It seems like a problem and then that finish takes over. The extra years beyond 18 really do treat the spirit well for those who aren't peat pyromaniac pirates. I like a good peater, meself, but I will take sophistication and age over peat most days, at least lately. I guess the initial palate is the weakest link in this chain for me. I can nose it forever and the endgame is favorable. I'm too lazy to write up tasting notes right now. The complexity is here. It's quite present in the dram. I skipped this bottle when it was for sale. I'm drinking off a sample from my MoM, ha. Well, if I had tasted this sooner then I would have sprung for a bottle. I like it well enough but then again I'm a Campbeltown junkie. I really do like the sauce made from Crosshill Loch. Initially, I had shied away from a bottle due to the sulphur. I have differing criteria for "dirty." A dirty dram isn't always sulphuric. This one is the sulfur variety of dirty which bring it down a point from 91 to 90. It would have come down two points if the sulfur was more prominent. I've heard folks at Springbank swear they don't use sulfur in the casks to spiff them up. I find that hard to believe. Are we talking sulfur vs sulfur candles? What? You mean to tell me the sulfur we taste is merely cask rot? With my palate, I just can't get over sulfur. I taste it like a bee sting, like a rotten strawberry in my shortcake, like a fluffy cloud that bursts into a shower on my picnic. I'm always shocked when otherwise gifted whisky drinkers cannot detect sulfur or at least how strong the sulfur is in an otherwise outstanding glass. Some folks just can't tell the difference and they try to pass it off as though they either like the sulfur or tolerate it. I also find this implausible.

3. NRGCLICK scored this whisky 91 points Expert Junior

Firstly, this whisky needs to open up. If you've reviewed from a sample, I don't think you've truly experienced this whisky for what it is.
    Initially, my score was sitting at around 88. After the bottle being opened for 3 weeks, safely say this get bumped up to a 91. Dont judge a book by its cover.

Nose: The sulfur people mention, dissipates, rest assured. Hints of a matchstick (in a good way), raspberry liquorice, stewed fruits & crystalised tropical fruits. Candied strawberries & cream, peaches & over-ripe passionfruit.

Palate: Oily, raspberry liquorice, hints of aniseed, crystalised fruits, confectionary candies.

Finish: Oak & over-ripe passion fruit, with a slight funk - what is that, sulfur? Whatever it is, it's brilliant!

Time, this bottle requires time and oxidisation. A few more months and this may get even better. Good job Springbank, this one is a keeper, keep this a regular release, please!

**EDIT**

Upon trying the new 2020 batch and doing a side by side with the 2019; I would today bring this review back to an 89. Seeing as I wont change my original score, 91 it will remain. 30/11/2020

4. Tommyknocker scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

It was clear, still cautious in the nose and then full longrow broadside in the mouth. Due to the age it is already very round and polished. Great bottling!
      A lot of dark sweetness at the beginning, caramelized sugar, roasted almonds still warm from the festival bag. But slightly burnt because it's a longrow. The smoke here is wonderfully interwoven with the sherry notes and complex dirty salty maritime notes. Unique, unmistakable and yet round, oily and pleasant. Like the 18, only much more pleasing. Over time, lighter fruit notes, peach, pineapple. I think the age is mainly noticeable through this.
    • Taste
      Very salty, spicy in the taste and a decent leg of peat. Then make way for delicious, chocolatey oak notes with rye bread. Caraway seeds and malt included. Dark cherry and nut liqueur are added.
      Long, dirty smoky and salty. But also a lot of sweet and tart fruit.

5. Andytka3 scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

1593) Longrow, 21YO, 2019 Edition
      N- Milieu of peel-oil driven from tip to tail. Uplifting top-notes honed with coarse citrus peel, mineral and salts , subdued sweet molasses underlay brought out the pressed orange, then vanilla with flows of melted chocolate. Hints leather develops just enough to tease, without being overwhelmed. Coastal nuances emerged after breath with hints of aged rum. (92/23)
    • Taste
      P- Unusually sweet at first, then burst of hefty mineral with earthy smokes peat on mid palate. Leather, haw flakes came up from the back with orange-oil threads all these together for an impactful mouthfeel. (90/22)
      F- Long, a solid 46% bottling. inviting spicy pickle citrus fruits with return of oily nuttiness. (90/22)

B/B- 93/23 Wonderful nose. Old-Fashioned alike, just the orange oil could be a wee pungent on palate at times, and lightly subdue on the finish.

Weighted Rate- 90pt

6. nallacam scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

I like it.
    The nose is more differentiated than the palate.
      The 46% makes it look light at first.
      Behavioral smoke, workshop smells, oil on the floor, light sulfur, matches. In the background the sweetness and fruitiness comes from the boubon barrel portion. Citrus and caramel, woodruff, biscuits, mild tobacco, a hint of dark chocolate.
    • Taste
      Sweet, slightly smoky, lots of spices, creamy, uncomplicated and intense.
      Medium length, dry

7. ARDBERG scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Bottom line up front: the flintiness from nose to finish is disapointing. Lovers of dirty drams will love it, I can tolerate it because it is not overwhelming, but it takes the score down and with it all the otherwise lovely aromas that have been discussed here. Sad, otherwise this could have been a stunner.

At a SBK tasting - 2cl.

8. Archer scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

After a long time a 21 year old Longrow; I approached the tasting with reasonably high expectations - which unfortunately were not fulfilled to the extent that I had wished for.
    The very good nose basically leaves nothing to be desired, but on the tongue and especially on the finish he shows too little character to really go through the ceiling. Unfortunately only in parts very good whisky.
      Intensely penetrating nose with pineapple, mango, passion fruit and bananas. Seasoning of marjoram and tarragon. Mineral like a Springbank: saltwater-wetted pebbles, salty sea spray. Can you smell creaminess? He makes in the nose at least the impression as if he were.
      Fruit, spice and the mineral note are closely interwoven, complement each other perfectly and together form a nose that you can spend a long time with.
    • Taste
      Dry, almost dry start. At first slightly spicy with fresh mint. Dry wood, still relatively clear smoky note. The fruits from the nose in a weakened form. Less spice than in the nose, but a consistent woody note that works well as a spice substitute. Caramel and milk chocolate, vanilla, honey. Although only represented with 40%, the Bourbon clear against the sherry barrel is clear.
      Medium long, dry, slightly smoky. Menthol and a hint of fermented fruit.

9. SAND scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

(TASTED BLIND)
    NOSE: Sanasol, butter, almonds, a whiff of smoke, leather, mild funk (91p).
    TASTE: Citrus, fresh lemon, very citrus fruity, vinous (89-90p).
    FINISH: Lots of citrus fruitiness (89-90p).
    OVERALL: Very vinous with a surprising absence of peat. Total score 90 points.

10. Jackson05 scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

Look, I like Springbank as much as the next guy, but I can’t get on board with the scores here. This is straight up flawed whisky in my opinion. Having it in a springbank lineup with many other modern releases and this is the worst one!

First off it’s heavily sulphured. It’s also flat and lifeless. Man. That is seriously disappointing. And if you spent modern dollars on this? That’s a disgrace. I’m sorry to offend anyone but I do not trust springbank with a sherry cask!
      Spent match, fireworks, root beer, buckwheat honey, mud.
    • Taste
      Better, but still with the sulphur. More honey but still flat cola. Coke bottle gummies, black liquorice,
      Best part. Because it has the least sulphur. Cola, liquorice, earthy compost, farmy slightly oily. Better for sure. Still no redemption.