95.46/100
Strength
09/471
08 May 2010 10:04 am

Whisky Reviews for Springbank 1969 SV

17 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 95.46 points

1. KayMeertens scored this whisky 95 points Connoisseur

Apparently I've just tasted the best whisky ever. Well, I might as well quit then :-)

Is it really the best whisky ever? I don't know, but it surely is extremely good.

Compared it to the majestic 21YO from the 1990s and it is indeed at least as good. It is less waxy than that one and less peaty, but much more creamy.
      Extremely creamy. Crême brûlée, coconut, cantaloupe melon, apricot, honey, candied orange and apple. Then banana. Water blurs all those different aromas a bit.
    • Taste
      Coconut, apricot jam, honey, vanilla, leather, apple, orange zest, peat, caramel, granidine syrup, litchi, baked banana and marzipan.
      Vanilla pudding, apricot, honey, coconut, caramel, almond and oak.

2. ctu scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

This whisky is currently on the 3rd best whisky in whiskybase, but it was the first for a long time.
    Now I can understand why. After yesterday's Tormore 1966 Samaroli I didn't think it could come any better. I was wrong. Maybe not even better, but more harmonious. The nose, the taste, the finish, the balance. It's "just" 96 (4 x 24) points using old rating system and not 100 because who knows there might be better. It was a real masterpiece and a great honor to taste it, so many thanks for the sample. Today is the 8th WhiskyShow here in Budapest, this was my seperately show. With water it's more refined and creamy. More ripe fruits and peat, which is enduring on the finish.
      Restrained and elegant at first. But it will slowly open. It's a surprisingly floral start. Rose and honey. A fruit bomb, especially red apple, melon peel and apricot. Banana shake and pina colada. Vanilla pudding, creamy peat, raisin, rum cherry and smoked ham.
    • Taste
      Powerful and incredibly complex. Here is also a floral start. Honey, vanilla and candied orange peel. Fruit salad with apricot jam. Marzipan, lemon sorbet, creamy peat and spicy oak. Malt, brown sugar and milk caramel. Lightly hot mango chutney. Amazing deepness.
      Long, fruity, waxy, sweet. No unpleasant flavor, perfect cleanliness and harmony.

3. Robert09 scored this whisky 91 points Member Junior

complex, balanced whisky, very calm, feel the shutter speed. The finish is very long, something in the style of not peat colilla 18, but less intense.
      open, wet, calm. Slightly dusty shades and liquids for kindling, furniture lacquer, freshly sawed board, association with some old Soviet premises, quince, cherry plum, a spectrum of yellow fruits prevails here, as well as red orange, some currant leaves.
    • Taste
      fireworks from wax, with some kind of herbal spectrum, vanilla, dust, smoked food, some flavors of spicy herbs mixed with fresh, old furniture are also actively connected there.
      the wood-smoked spectrum is melting for a long time and oil derivatives with celery are also present.

4. WhiskyLovingPianist scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

N: If we had taken off with the Benriach, we are now cruising at altitude with Springbank. This beauty contains all-sorts that include a cream element leading to cake icing=emulsion, violets, puncture chalk and apricot fruit jams. Spot-on!

T: Again, everything you’d want is here. That includes a floral bouquet, apricots and chewy, dry, earthy Brora-eseque hues, though in truth we are now slipping away from the objective plain. Soft aniseed warmth on the turn.

F: Sweet bourbon action [though a refill sherry cask is stated!?], deep dunnage chalk, herbal/fungal/earthy culminations,.... rolls on & on & on.

C: Not a Bowmore in sight, yet this is super-league stuff.

Scores an A+

5. lincolnimp scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

Viclin, if you are going to score it at 100 points can you provide the rest of us with a tasting note, it would be appreciated. :)

6. VicLin scored this whisky 100 points Expert Junior

The best whisky (and the best Springbank) ever bottled? That's a bold statement. But after sipping it you wouldn't want to argue about that.

7. lincolnimp scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

EditJust wondered why my bottle picture was removed, it is provenance that I have actually tasted this whisky?

(bottle 284) I have also tasted this from another bottle.

******

This Glenfiddich 1956 It was so good that the Mother of all head to head tastings I was planning for a few months time will have to be brought forward to this evening, so I can compare the other contenders to this one.

I have not got enough left to start off from scratch so while it is fresh in my memory I need to do it now.
    I have been planning to do a H2H of some top rated whiskies just to see if my palate is in a agreement with some of those whiskies that people score a 100 , certainly 96+.

S

ome whiskies on here have massive scores from people, I just want to know from a personal level if I agree.

List of contenders to follow, and to think I was supposed to go for a run tonight, never mind research comes first
    1- https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/15778/springbank-1969-sv 96.93 points, 59 votes, no1 rated whisky on WB

This sample from different bottle to the first time I tried it, which was from bottle 284.
    Wild card entries that I think will compare well, the next 3 are not in the top 100 on WB

2 - https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/7843/glenlochy-1965-sv 92.84 points, 21 votes
    3 - https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/38818/1956-it 95 points, 3 votes
    4 - https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/8677/blair-athol-21-year-old-mi 91.55, 23 votes

The following are in the top 100 on WB
    5 - https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/53760/glenglassaugh-1972 95.26 points 245 votes, no 20 rated
    6 - https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/8342/bowmore-1964-black 95.18 points 85 votes, no 25 rated
    7 - https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/72279/glendronach-1972 95.01 points 74 votes, no 35 rated
    8 - https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/11046/springbank-35-year-old 94.25 points,87 votes no 89 rated
    I am not even sure I can do 8, might have to limit it to 6, I have others here, another springbank, glenglassaugh, Ardbeg provenance 1974

Springbank to be tried first.
    https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/427/brora-3rd-release 93.98 points , 208 votes, I decided it would be worthwhile including this one, which due to the peat I will try last.

Result
    6TH - Springbank 35 year Millenium
    7th - Brora 2004
    8th - Glenglassaugh
    9th - Glendronach
    Full notes on this thread https://www.whiskybase.com/contribute/group/73/topic/16768/the-head-to-head-whisky-thread-for-tastings-h2h

8. lincolnimp scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

This Springbank I intend to try H2H with this Glenlochy, which for me was outstanding.

Really looking forward to that head to head, I think the Glenlochy will be stiff competition, we will see :)

9. lincolnimp scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

From bottle no 284.

This is the highest scoring whisky on WB, does it deserve that score, well possibly it does.

Is there better whisky out there, yes but they are few in number in all honesty.

Is it the best whisky I have tasted, no, but its right up there,  possibly top 5, certainly top 10.

Got a little extra from the nice barman , rather than just 2.5cl so had a decent amount to try with & without water.

I have a sample of this at home and I intend to try this H2H with 5 or 6 other whiskies in the top 100 soon.

This is why trying whisky in isolation and scoring sometimes is not representative for true comparison purposes,if going by scores alone.

Trying a bunch of whiskies together is in my view.

It is a great dram, superb is not a word I really use but I might make an exception for this one.

Price point is what a bottle cost on release, this dram was expensive but worth it in my view.

10. lincolnimp scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

With Water :-

Nose - Very restrained now, elegant . still fruity but also some floral notes.

Palate - Very, very sweet on pineapple, yellow plum & peach.

Finish - Good length, some oak coming through now but the fruit is always there and right at the end some whiffs of cheese.

Great.
      Honey, coconut, a little rum & raisin. vanilla ice cream, peach, whiffs of sweet smoke.
    • Taste
      1st taste :-

Mouth coating, full on the palate, slight bitterness/

2nd taste :-

Orange, lemon, fruit sweets (mainly orange), the bitterness has gone now, traces of peat.

This is a fruit salad with custard.

By this point I was salivating, lovely stuff
      long, creamy , sweet