Teeling Brabazon Bottling Series 03

85.62/100
Teeling Whiskey Company (TWCo)
2020
Bourbon, Pedro Ximénez Sherry Finish
Strength
07 May 2020 1:57 pm by Glen Fahrn Germany
Non-chillfiltered

CHF 99.63

Whisky Reviews for Teeling Brabazon Bottling Series 03

30 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.62 points

1. markjedi1 scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Liberties

I remember that the first release of the Brabazon – named after the 17th Century politician Chambré Brabazon who ruled the Liberties, the area where the Teeling distillery can be found – was rather excentric in my book, but fun. The second batch, matured on port casks, was a stunner. Now Teeling launches the third batch with whisky that matured on 90 years old PX casks. And for the first time, the whisky also gets an aged statemend: aged 14 years.

Oh, this is quite a lovely nose. On the one had the typical, almost delicate whisky of the house, but wrapped in a very aromatic jacket of baked apples and plum marmalade. Roasted almonds and sultanas kick in, as does a hint of candied sugar. Lastly a green note that I cannot quite put the finger on. Sage? Anyway, it works.

Hmmm, good body, nicely oily and sturdy upon arrival. Immediately wonderfully sweet on the same baked apples (throw in a pear), sultanas and plums. Well, that last bit evolves towards fresh fig. Origin chocolate with a single salty note, just for a bit. Very good! Nicely spicy too. Nutmeg and some…err… oregano? I am very fond of this.

The finish is medium long, starts of dark and sweet and then dries quickly.

Wonderful stuff from the Liberties! Is it my imagination or can I actually taste that these were indeed very old casks? Probably a trick of the mind. Now I only need to find out the significance of the ABV, for every batch is bottled at 49.5% so far. Anyone?

2. Totoro scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Commendably, for this bottling Teeling sourced real bodega / solera casks that held real PX (not just seasoning sherry) for about 90 years, and guess what: it shows.
    If you're looking for an example of what *actual* old sherry casks can contribute to an otherwise unexceptional and still fairly young liquid, this is it. Similarly priced as many other "modern" sherried bottlings, but heads and shoulders above the rest in terms of quality and character.
      Lots of really, really old sherry-soaked wood. Glue, crema di balsamico, stewed figs and plums, ripe oranges spiked with cloves, damp old oak, musty wine cellar, squished grapes (including the skins), clove, cinnamon, parsley, baked apple, and ripe melon. The three-year (!) finish definitely dominates everything, but it's far from over-sherried, as you can already tell from the color. Instead, the old oak is allowed to shine. Water reigns in the damp, musty aspect and coaxes out more dried and stewed fruits.
      I have to say, I've never before encountered a younger bottling with such lovely old-age aromas. A surprising success.
    • Taste
      Musty old oak up front, then it becomes juicy and jammy and sweet and spicy. Plenty of roasted nuts and sweet fruit in the middle, either in dried or preserved form: plums, figs, dates, raisins... But also a more acidic aspect, perhaps like blackcurrant. All that's rounded off by a nice herbal spiciness: clove, laurel, cinnamon, pickled ginger. More on chocolate and coffee toward the end. I can recommend a drop of water to smooth things out.
      Very nice in its own right; exceptional at this age.
      Medium to long (especially when considering that this is merely 14 years old), with herbal honey, sour grape, menthol, and (duh) old oak.

Edit: After a while, the mustiness veers off into scruffy / moldy impressions, which kind of ruins the fun for me. But experience tells me that I appear to be over-sensitive in this regard, so you should definitely check this out for yourself and form your own opinion.

3. WillemvdK scored this whisky 77 points Expert Senior

Nose is pretty good, with citrus (lime), chalk and some floral notes. The taste really blows it for me. Initially it's like biting into an old cardboard box that's been in the dusty attic for many decades. I don't know what causes this aroma but it doesn't cut it for me. Very weird that I'm not able to discover this aroma in the nose. Finish makes up for it a little bit though.

4. Cubey666 scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

sweet, sugar, grapes, raisins, apples plums,
    • Taste
      quite some apples, fresh fruits, sweet chocolate
      quite dry, dark chocolate, bit hard, medium long

5. honerkamp scored this whisky 85 points Member Senior

I'm not a heavy sherry fan in general, so I knew this wasn't going to be a big hit for me. On my first few sips, I was convinced that I really disliked this - the musty sherry wasn't my thing at all. After letting it sit and drinking some water, the sherry is (a little) more refined.
      A nice nose, the sherry fruits are nice, though there's a hint of mustiness lurking in the background that's not my thing.
    • Taste
      At first, not my thing at all and I considered dumping the dram and moving to something else. After letting it sit a bit, the edge has come off and I'm enjoying it a bit more. I think it just needed to breathe a bit. The mustiness has retreated.
      Long finish that for me has the fruits without too much sherry.

6. Dionysus scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior

7. whiskytornado scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

8. A.S. Bak scored this whisky 88 points Expert Junior

9. robain scored this whisky 88 points Specialist

pear, forest notes, sweet, soft and with red fruits, tropical fruits, vanilla and light oak.
    • Taste
      Tropical again, nice. Vanilla, oak, some pepper.
      Long nice oak with some more tropical and red fruits.

10. MrYens scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior