87.94/100
1st Fill Sherry Butt
Strength
07 May 2020 11:42 am by mer1973

Whisky Reviews for Edradour 2010 vW

20 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.94 points

1. markjedi1 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Candy

The Dutch bottler van Wees released a whole series of single casks of Edradour in 2020, all of them at cask strength. Let’s put these head-to-head. This is a 9 years old from 2010, a single 1st fill sherry butt, at a strength of 58.6%! This is the exact same strength as sister cask #391 that I just tried. It is only slightly lighter in color, but still a mesmerizing mahogany.

This nose is very candy-like. Haribo bears and citric acid candy, cola bottles and Superman logos, gummi cherries and even a hint of guimauve! Then the obligatory walnuts and raisins follow, worry not. But it’s surprisingly different from sister casks #391 and #395 on the nose. This one actually comes close to the nose of cask #30.

Dried fruit and cherries in the foreground, something sour like gooseberries and kiwi in the background. Some typical spices like nutmeg and cloves, joined by some rosemary and thyme. It even turns surprisingly green on the palate. And the oak rears its head too, adding a bitter note and a drying effect.

The finish is very long, dark and sweet and spicy and leaves the mouth completely parched.

It’s among my favorites on the note, but it turned a bit too dry too quickly to beat cask #391. Funny detail: this was bottled on the 7th of January 2020, my 50th birthday.

2. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

I am not into these kind of modern day sherry bombs, or as me and my friends cal them ‘GlenSherry’. Fast maturations on aggressive (not empty) 1st fill sherrycasks. Something you have to like and I normally don’t. But once in a while I get surprised with a very convincing and well matured bottling in this category. So curious as I am I wanted to taste some of these new vW sherrybombs. Therefore I ordered 2 samples. This one and cask 30. So here goes nothing..
      Oomph this is extremely heavy on the alcohol and young spirity character. This needs a lot more then just the warmth of the palm of my hand. Water, and loads of it. I’m not even trying this without any of it. I gave it airtime, held it for about 15 minutes, splashed 7ml water in it on a 30ml sample but it still didn’t cut it. So I added another 3ml of water and finally something is happening. It remains very alcoholic but it’s smellable. The nose is dominated by loads and loads of red fruits. Cherries and black berries mainly. Dark spices lead the way to more oaky influences along with hints of leather.
    • Taste
      Intens arrival and surprisingly even rather friendly. After that the young spirity character kicks in and turns rather alcoholic. It is very one dimensional. It’s all about young spirit being overpowered by sherry cask influences. I can’t really get a lot of specific flavors.
      The finish is long but not very pleasing. It gives dry sherrywood, sherry, sherry, more sherry and... sherry. A rather dry alcoholic taste remains at the end.

I know whisky is all about difference in taste between one another but I must say I am completely flabbergasted that scores here are going through the roof. The averages suggest this is world class stuff, comparable to some of the best whiskies ever made. But in my opinion this has nothing to do anymore with finesse, aging and complexity that whisky is all about. But hey, maybe I am to traditional. This serves the modern day whisky drinker very well with an intens color and an outspoken taste, that’s for sure. But I find it more or less shameful that this is how things have turned in the whisky industry. It feels like they sold their soul to the devil.

3. robbert88 scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

N: raisins, sherry, cola haribo candy, cherries, red fruit, slightly alcoholic, old plums, vanilla sticks
    • Taste
      P: cloves, cherry, dried fruit, full bowl of sherry, here you will notice the ABV content. It burns nicely without water. For me in a nice but intense way. Still a somewhat young sharpness sometimes. Figs and something that reminds me of dates.
      F: dry finish and wood. Sherry again with Christmas spices. Small bitterness and some figs.

4. Hvdree scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur

Come on, give it a go.. they said
    you'll like the new edradours better.. they said
    nope! still the same shitty edradour.. :-(
    unfortunately, again, overrated hype-stuff

5. Lakerfield scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

There have been lots of extremely dark Edradours brought onto the market by Van Wees lately. I love me some Edradour on sherry although I think they are going to enter the 'over-sherried zone' here. On the nose; well, still clearly recognizable as an Edradour. It's a fairly rough and aggressive profile you either love or hate. Even I am not in the mood for it every day.. Blueberry, cherry, ripe banana, raisin and orange zest. After the fruit a big wave of sweetness with very sweet sherry, strawberry bubblegum, chocolate biscuit, caramel fudge, wine gum and honey. Then roast hazelnut, pepper, raw beef and its blood, sour milk, new oak, mint and a little rum-like note too. It's a young gun and it behaves exactly like that. Out of balance and 'quick' flavours. Tasty though.
    In the mouth; dry, sweet and explosive. It has turned very meaty now. Apple sauce, orange liqueur, raisin, and fig. Further on lots of sweetness again with praliné, cotton candy, caramel and chocolate. Vanilla, breakfast cereal, salt, pepper, beef stock and pork chops. You would suspect PX sherry as the culprit, but I'm pretty sure this was an Oloroso cask. Oh, and a not-so-empty one.
    The finish is long. Dark chocolate meets salted caramel and some cereal notes.

Does exactly what is expected. A young and fierce sherrybomb that leaves no room for finesse. It delivers some likeable flavours but it doesn't take you on a journey. A lack of depth indeed. I only drink these from time to time as they tire the palate very quick. All these 90+ ratings baffle me as a result.

Based on a sample.

6. torstenB scored this whisky 81 points Expert Senior

I got interested in the Edradour from Ratings, and wanted to find out about it. My last dram from Edradour was the old 10 year old which was super soapy and with ugly vegetable notes

I am slightly disappointed with this one, it has some nice flavours, but also a few Things which i don´t like. From my perspective it is overrated and i would prefer a balvenie single Barrel Sherry or a Glendronach.

I will try it again a few weeks later - Maybe air helps on this one.
      Chocolate, plums, something herbal, Maybe a bit Maggi, after adding water the grassy side gets much stronger. It is a bit harsh. Cinnamon, polished wood
    • Taste
      Chocolate and fruits appear first, later it starts to remind me of some vegetable broth, Maybe cooked potatoe Skins, herbs, Maggi, Spices
      gets drying and woody, Maggi.

7. rabbitnose scored this whisky 87 points Expert Junior

Could have been lot better with important on finish

Too bitter with oak and non complexity

8. markkuyper scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

9. pecathor scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

my first bottle from Van Wees and also the first bottle of Edradour I bought to keep. Otherwise I have only tried Edradours in the whisky bar or from friends and never really made any notes. I do have to say I really enjoyed this bottle! I like the strong flavor, I like the sherry profile of the whisky, I absolutely love the color! I'm looking forward to buy more Edradours in the future and will try some other batches or independent bottlings as well to see the difference.
      dried-fruit bomb! cherries, raising, chocolate, nuts, oak wood, a hint of leather and mint, alcohol is very well integrated
    • Taste
      an explosion of flavors, cherries, dried fruit, dry & sweet at the same time, pepper, dark chocolate, raisins, figs, the cask!
      rather longer, dry with fruit and oak

10. mr.p9 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior