88.82/100
1st Fill Sherry Butt
Strength
07 May 2020 11:42 am by mer1973

Whisky Reviews for Edradour 2010 vW

11 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.82 points

1. MH90 scored this whisky 91 points Member Senior

What a wonderful Edradour violence lately! The differences with the 389 barrel are subtle. Which I didn't expect to beat beforehand. However, the 393 wins on the nose and finish for me. Although I do miss the orange of the 389. Nevertheless a party!

Also compared to an edradour 2009 vw .. that was not a fair fight.
      Full round scent of cherries and chocolate. The alcohol forms a good harmony with this, nice balance. Stew pear, some dates, plums come through. Compared to the # 389, there are less sweet tones. On the nose it is less rough.
    • Taste
      Cherries and dried fruits in the foreground, less chocolate present than on the nose. Herbs such as rosemary and thyme are making an appearance. The dates and plums can be found in the background.
      Long with dynamism and development. What a pleasure such a finish. Interplay of cherries, chocolate, vanilla, dried wood and nuts.

2. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

I am not into these kind of modern day sherry bombs, or as me and my friends cal them ‘GlenSherry’. Fast maturations on aggressive (not empty) 1st fill sherrycasks. Something you have to like and I normally don’t. But once in a while I get surprised with a very convincing and well matured bottling in this category. So curious as I am I wanted to taste some of these new vW sherrybombs. Therefore I ordered 2 samples. This one and cask 30. So here goes nothing..
      Oomph this is extremely heavy on the alcohol and young spirity character. This needs a lot more then just the warmth of the palm of my hand. Water, and loads of it. I’m not even trying this without any of it. I gave it airtime, held it for about 15 minutes, splashed 7ml water in it on a 30ml sample but it still didn’t cut it. So I added another 3ml of water and finally something is happening. It remains very alcoholic but it’s smellable. The nose is dominated by loads and loads of red fruits. Cherries and black berries mainly. Dark spices lead the way to more oaky influences along with hints of leather.
    • Taste
      Intens arrival and surprisingly even rather friendly. After that the young spirity character kicks in and turns rather alcoholic. It is very one dimensional. It’s all about young spirit being overpowered by sherry cask influences. I can’t really get a lot of specific flavors.
      The finish is long but not very pleasing. It gives dry sherrywood, sherry, sherry, more sherry and... sherry. A rather dry alcoholic taste remains at the end.

I know whisky is all about difference in taste between one another but I must say I am completely flabbergasted that scores here are going through the roof. The averages suggest this is world class stuff, comparable to some of the best whiskies ever made. But in my opinion this has nothing to do anymore with finesse, aging and complexity that whisky is all about. But hey, maybe I am to traditional. This serves the modern day whisky drinker very well with an intens color and an outspoken taste, that’s for sure. But I find it more or less shameful that this is how things have turned in the whisky industry. It feels like they sold their soul to the devil.

3. torstenB scored this whisky 81 points Expert Junior

I got interested in the Edradour from Ratings, and wanted to find out about it. My last dram from Edradour was the old 10 year old which was super soapy and with ugly vegetable notes

I am slightly disappointed with this one, it has some nice flavours, but also a few Things which i don´t like. From my perspective it is overrated and i would prefer a balvenie single Barrel Sherry or a Glendronach.

I will try it again a few weeks later - Maybe air helps on this one.
      Chocolate, plums, something herbal, Maybe a bit Maggi, after adding water the grassy side gets much stronger. It is a bit harsh. Cinnamon, polished wood
    • Taste
      Chocolate and fruits appear first, later it starts to remind me of some vegetable broth, Maybe cooked potatoe Skins, herbs, Maggi, Spices
      gets drying and woody, Maggi.

4. Lakerfield scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

There have been lots of extremely dark Edradours brought onto the market by Van Wees lately. I love me some Edradour on sherry although I think they are going to enter the 'over-sherried zone' here. On the nose; well, still clearly recognizable as an Edradour. It's a fairly rough and aggressive profile you either love or hate. Even I am not in the mood for it every day.. Blueberry, cherry, ripe banana, raisin and orange zest. After the fruit a big wave of sweetness with very sweet sherry, strawberry bubblegum, chocolate biscuit, caramel fudge, wine gum and honey. Then roast hazelnut, pepper, raw beef and its blood, sour milk, new oak, mint and a little rum-like note too. It's a young gun and it behaves exactly like that. Out of balance and 'quick' flavours. Tasty though.
    In the mouth; dry, sweet and explosive. It has turned very meaty now. Apple sauce, orange liqueur, raisin, and fig. Further on lots of sweetness again with praliné, cotton candy, caramel and chocolate. Vanilla, breakfast cereal, salt, pepper, beef stock and pork chops. You would suspect PX sherry as the culprit, but I'm pretty sure this was an Oloroso cask. Oh, and a not-so-empty one.
    The finish is long. Dark chocolate meets salted caramel and some cereal notes.

Does exactly what is expected. A young and fierce sherrybomb that leaves no room for finesse. It delivers some likeable flavours but it doesn't take you on a journey. A lack of depth indeed. I only drink these from time to time as they tire the palate very quick. All these 90+ ratings baffle me as a result.

Based on a sample.

5. korbnellom scored this whisky 92 points Member Senior

6. KDD scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

7. Maltman68 scored this whisky 92 points Member Senior

Simply WOW!

8. LordBellamy scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

with water: somehow it doesn't really get rounder, and the aroma spectrum doesn't change much either

Conclusion: I somehow don't really get warm with the malt, maybe because I don't really like Edradour either? Actually the basic data is correct, but I find it a little too spicy, too much wood, too much sherry, it is not really well balanced, and the taste is too thin, but the finish is convincing. Hopefully my aversion to Edradour is not wrong.

Small correction: the more water you give it, the rounder it gets!
      Oatmeal cookies with chocolate, strong oak, lovage, balsamic, leather, the alcohol is quite present, freshly ground coffee, herbal, a small corner of sulfur can also be guessed at
    • Taste
      surprisingly thin for the alcohol and the barrel selection, sherry, dark fruits, cereals, neat wood
      medium length with a very intense cherry / marzipan note, strong oak without becoming too bitter.

9. whiskytornado scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior