- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
- Bottling serie
- Essence of gelfling
- Stated Age
- 22 years old
- Bourbon HH and then 2nd Fill Ex-PX Sherry HH
- Number of bottles
- 50.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottled for
- Feis Ile 2020
- Added on
- 24 Apr 2020 9:57 am by Tauti
23 × in wishlist
29 × member ratings
63 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Laphroaig 1996 SMWS 29.268
6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.30 points
- Subtle, smooth peat. Sea salt. Dried fruits. Medium-long finish. Sweet, with dried fruits.
- 2021-02-19: almost a bit watery
Apricot, little smoke, no typical Laphroaig character, apple juice, vanilla
Hints of green tea, but not bitter, slightly smoky
FLoral peat, modern style, golden roasted barley, banana, leather, dried plums, new leather, gasoline, quite rich and balanced, dried apricots.
Mellow, gree tea, minty peat, rich dried apricots, not woody at all, very dry but juicy, also dried plums.
Long finish, dried fruits, dense smoke, toasted seaweeds, dark chocolates.
- SMWS Tasting Notes: An old Belgian farmhouse ale at first nosing. Plentiful notes of hot ceramics, Wensleydale with apricot chunks, engine oil, toolboxes, medical embrocations and gorse flowers by the sea. Things like wood sap, camphor, salted game meats and (eventually) emerging tropical aspects such as passion fruit, lime zest, wildflowers and citrus infused furniture waxes. With reduction there’s an explosion of exoticism. Green banana, papaya, star fruit, guava, melon and then vegetable broth, miso, sourdough and the fragile smokiness of Earl Grey tea. Some saline aged oloroso, sandalwoods and red fruit throat sweets. The mouth is liquified cough sweets, ancient medicines and aged herbal liqueurs. Wood char, dried mango chunks and orange cocktail bitters all mixed up with salted caramel and pistachio nuts. Water lifts out smoked cereals, tiger balm, iodine tablets, pastis and dried seaweed crackers. Matured for 20 years in a bourbon hogshead before being transferred to a second-fill PX hogshead.