Aberlour A'bunadh batch #66

LKPN5885
31 Mar 2020 2:04 pm by Malzbrenner
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Aberlour A'bunadh batch #66

17 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.42 points

1. stnlskz scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

I discovered you under your wrapping paper on November 25, 2017, and I opened you the first time a month later, with my dad, to celebrate Christmas.

At the beginning, we had trouble understanding each other. Your power impressed me. I had a hard time putting my feelings into words, but I was convinced of one thing: that by making an effort, we would both get along very well.

Sometimes I read the tasting notes that concerned you, sometimes I poured water drop by drop in my glass to soften you. All this to better understand you, to speak your language, to better welcome all the emotion that you offered me.

Then gradually, I started to understand you, to appreciate you for who you were, to share you with those who wanted to know you. But at the same time, you were gradually disappearing, until the day when I had only your empty bottle left as a stiff.

Only one question remained: when would we meet again? And fate made you take your place in my bar right after confinement.

When I opened you for the first time a second time, I was stressed. 10 batches had passed. Would I find the sensations you gave me? And me, would I be able to love you with all the attention you deserve?

During our reunion, in wanting to run after my memory, I was naturally disappointed. But memories are just the truth of a past that guides us to create new memories. So I let you carry me.

And finally, I rediscovered the notes of nougat, coffee and chocolate mousse that I loved to smell, and the notes of dark chocolate, wood and orange that I loved to sip. Those that I will not find anywhere else, those that were the first notes of a melody that I continue to compose today.

I wish you a safe trip back to my bar, Aberlour A'Bunadh.

2. Collegiate scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

Better than the last batch (which I found to be the weakest one I’ve had yet), but still a far cry from the gems that the batches in the upper 40s were (which were so sherried that I find them more akin to Glendronach 18 than I do to current batches). This one brings back the spiciness and doesn’t have the off notes I saw in batch 65. But, I am finding with these more recent bottles that my palette is just getting a little tired of the heavy handedness of the sherry. You get the bombardment of Christmas cake and raisins, but there is little in the way of deftness or complexity in this experience. I suspect in recent years the amount of aged sherry in the mix has been reduced. If you go for this sort of thing - a masochistic, in your face, one trick pony, youthful sherry bomb - then this is for you. If however you are looking for complexity and balance, you’re likely looking at the wrong option with this one. Props to Aberlour though for this snazzy new livery and the mention on the back of the tube that they are using local barley.

3. Angleraetsche scored this whisky 90 points Member Junior

Incredibly good price / performance ratio.

4. TechnOBY scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

5. derandres scored this whisky 81 points Newbie

Not the sherry bomb you expected. A pleasant seasoning is definitely there, but after the other reviews I expected a lot more. In my opinion, not really complex, the sweetness is almost completely missing and the price is therefore definitely too high. Even with the 59.x% it is not worth more than 45, max. 50 EUR.

6. KSar scored this whisky 88 points Newbie

7. ThorstenH scored this whisky 90 points Expert Junior

Banana, nougat, coconut. The nose is indescribably good.
    • Taste
      Power without end without it becoming really uncomfortable.
      Medium length

8. Mapl scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

9. Auriverdes scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

10. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Had several A’Bunadh batches, older as well as more modern. Never actually reviewed them so let’s make some time for that.
      Classic fruity A’Bunadh profile. Pleasant nose, even at CS. Sweet, savory and citrus-like, Several fruits, red as well as citrusfruits, mild spices and plenty nuttiness. Cherry candy, fudge, orangepeel, hazelnut chocolate, raisins, ginger, and rich sherried oak.
    • Taste
      Warming. Full bodied sweetness but also a tad sharp and restless at first. More creamy later on. Oranges, Sweet red apples, Forest fruit tea, cinnamon. Very palatable.
      Rather long. Sweet, oaky and fruity. After a while more spicy and quite a lot of milk chocolate. It ends rather fudgy which remains for quite a while.

This is what I would call a very pleasant daily dram. A well affordable and tasteful dram! Not to much of a ‘GlenSherry’. It has definitely more to offer than just that. Hopefully they can continue this quality for batches to come.