Aberlour A'bunadh batch #66

LKPN5885
31 Mar 2020 2:04 pm by Malzbrenner
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Aberlour A'bunadh batch #66

36 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.70 points

1. stnlskz scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

I discovered you under your wrapping paper on November 25, 2017, and I opened you the first time a month later, with my dad, to celebrate Christmas.

At the beginning, we had trouble understanding each other. Your power impressed me. I had a hard time putting my feelings into words, but I was convinced of one thing: that by making an effort, we would both get along very well.

Sometimes I read the tasting notes that concerned you, sometimes I poured water drop by drop in my glass to soften you. All this to better understand you, to speak your language, to better welcome all the emotion that you offered me.

Then gradually, I started to understand you, to appreciate you for who you were, to share you with those who wanted to know you. But at the same time, you were gradually disappearing, until the day when I had only your empty bottle left as a stiff.

Only one question remained: when would we meet again? And fate made you take your place in my bar right after confinement.

When I opened you for the first time a second time, I was stressed. 10 batches had passed. Would I find the sensations you gave me? And me, would I be able to love you with all the attention you deserve?

During our reunion, in wanting to run after my memory, I was naturally disappointed. But memories are just the truth of a past that guides us to create new memories. So I let you carry me.

And finally, I rediscovered the notes of nougat, coffee and chocolate mousse that I loved to smell, and the notes of dark chocolate, wood and orange that I loved to sip. Those that I will not find anywhere else, those that were the first notes of a melody that I continue to compose today.

I wish you a safe trip back to my bar, Aberlour A'Bunadh.

2. Dre73 scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

H2H with batch 65: Nose very close to each other, only 65 has a litte more chocolate. In taste 66 has some licorice flavors. Both very intense fruity drams though, very pleasant.
      Very fruity, strong alcohol, a lot of red fruits, berries, raisins. Some honey. Intense.
    • Taste
      Strong, intense, more licorice now with some red fruits, berries. Full taste.
      Still very intense, red fruits, wine gums, pretty long finish.

3. Collegiate scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Better than the last batch (which I found to be the weakest one I’ve had yet), but still a far cry from the gems that the batches in the upper 40s were (which were so sherried that I find them more akin to Glendronach 18 than I do to current batches). This one brings back the spiciness and doesn’t have the off notes I saw in batch 65. But, I am finding with these more recent bottles that my palette is just getting a little tired of the heavy handedness of the sherry. You get the bombardment of Christmas cake and raisins, but there is little in the way of deftness or complexity in this experience. I suspect in recent years the amount of aged sherry in the mix has been reduced. If you go for this sort of thing - a masochistic, in your face, one trick pony, youthful sherry bomb - then this is for you. If however you are looking for complexity and balance, you’re likely looking at the wrong option with this one. Props to Aberlour though for this snazzy new livery and the mention on the back of the tube that they are using local barley.

4. SAND scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

NOSE: Vinous acidic nose (what some would call sour?), lots of dried fruits, rubber (sulphur), mixed nuts, hints of dark chocolate and tobacco. Grows and improves with air. I like it. (90-91p)
    TASTE: Lots of black tea with sugar, liqorice, aniseed liqueur, marzipan. (89p)
    FINISH: Sweet black pepper. (89p)
    OVERALL: Not very complex and a tad sweet but very delicious. Total score 90 (89) points.

5. HummaKavula scored this whisky 87 points Member Junior

Its my first approach with A'bunadh and CS whisky also. But its quickly becoming my favourite.
      Very Rich and intense. Standing a meter from the glass i could clearly smell dried berries and plums. Smell is very dense with a lot of chocolate and hints of grease. After taking a deep nose dive into it, dry haylike freshness can be felt.
    • Taste
      Quite sweet and oily and extremely extractive due to high voltage. But its not a bad thing. Taste of alcohol is well hidden. Dark chocolate and nuts are noticable.
      Rubbery and oily at start, with a lot of bitter cocoa and some dried apples. But quite short with hints o vanila at the end.
      EDIT: actually not that short! Rubbery taste (due to high ABV) and hints of vanila and nuts are noticable and will last for quite some time.

6. LeChiffre scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Ranks in the typically modern sherry profiles. Fruity and sweet with clearly present (young) wood. A little unbalanced with the noticeably young wood note. Overall very tasty, but also relatively straightforward and unexciting. Measured against the price but a good bottling these days.
    (Rating: o)
      Sharpness of alcohol; fruity-sweet; intense orange note; some cherries; Dried fruits; Caramel candies; Spices; woody oak note; Adding water brings out the fruity sweetness more
      - modern, beautiful sherry profile
    • Taste
      intensely sweet and spicy; directly spicy rather fresh wood notes present; Cherry notes; some oranges; slight ginger spiciness; Dark chocolate; with water the fruity aromas behind the wood come into their own
      long and warm; peppery-spicy; Ginger; Dried fruits; woody oak note

7. Angleraetsche scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

Incredibly good price / performance ratio.

8. Ficelli scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

9. DannyHill scored this whisky 86 points Member Senior

sweet, sherrybomb, tobacco, oak
    • Taste
      super oaky, super sweet, raisins, sultanas, punchy, oak tannins, very rich, dried fruit
      nutty, dried fruit, warming

10. hafssol did not rate this whisky Member Senior

My (belated) first experience with the A’bunadh series.
    Not only the sherry bomb one could expect, also considering its CS 59,2 abv, but a richly textured and (even!) rounded taste.

Of course, red fruits are prominent all along the way, yet the boldness of this malt lays mostly in the bitter almonds explosions of the nose, while palate is surprisingly soft with no prominent alcohol edges. More than sherry, it reveals many powerful slightly bitter notes, from coffee to green nuts, with a nice crispy cereal feel.

Adding a drop of water doesn’t change the taste so much, neither weakens the solid profile of this malt. Powerful but somehow gentle at the same time, very enjoyable also not being a big sherry fan.