Glen Spey 2007 JE

27.09.2007
2020
1st Fill Palo Cortado Sherry Finish
Strength
28 Mar 2020 2:08 pm by Fat Bastard!

£ 69.50

Whisky Reviews for Glen Spey 2007 JE

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.04 points

1. ThinLizzy scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

2. VWWW scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

A nice dusty cellar nose, obvious from te cask...
    The same notes return in the taste, no overwhelming alcohol influence. Just a realy good balanced cask strength.

3. Johannes de Silentio scored this whisky 87 points Member Senior

Color: Dull Copper

Nose: Like most, I imagine, I purchased this because I thought it was an interesting sherry cask type and finish on a spirit that likely wouldn't stand much in the way. Well, so far, so good. I'm getting clear sherry notes, but they're pretty classy and refined. This is on the dryer side rather than the sweet, syrupy one: nuts, earth, savoriness. That's not to say it's entirely devoid of any sweetness. Indeed, I am picking up a lovely brown sugar note, but it hardly predominates, and it doesn't seem to derived from dried fruit like normally with sherry maturation. Taken from a different angle: This dram noses more like an actual sherry I'd like to drink versus something more typical, say, Glendronach. With a little more time, I'm finding a lovely tinge of polished coins. Cinnamon is now coming through, as well. It's starting to tilt towards South Asian spices. What a development! Not experiencing much change with the addition of water.

Taste: Definitely some bite on the arrival, but it doesn't come through as terribly hot. I think watering it will improve this experience, but let's see what comes before we do that. First of all, the mouthfeel is a little thin; not terrible, but not great. I don't want something tremendously viscous here given the profile, but I'm not counting it in the plus-column. In terms of flavors, it's running very much on the dry sherry side: some nuttiness and nothing really in the direction of lush, dark fruit. Water removes the bite as expected. Also as expected, the spirit itself really doesn't have a ton of say. Instead, it's on light brown sugar and cinnamon spice (and everything nice, I suppose). This is much more in-line with what one would expect from a bottling of this provenance and age: pretty good but nothing crazy.

Finish: Drying and anestheticizing when taken neat. It honestly doesn't change too much even when watered. I tried to make sure I'd watered it enough (given it's starting at a whopping 60%), but I've over-diluted it now. Leads me to believe it's going to dry your mouth out unless you overdo it, which brings its own problems.

Comments: Unique. It's clearly sherry-dominated but it's nonetheless difficult to refer to it as a "sherry monster." What's more typical about it is that it's a classic nose/palate splitter. I could seriously nose this thing for an hour or more, whereas the palate is decent but nothing to write home about. What's more, this being my first Glen Spey, I don't feel at all confident that I could tell you anything particular about the spirit. This is a cask experience. It's a very good finish/double-maturation for the nose, which is pushing 90 in my book, but the palate brings it right down, because, on its own, it would struggle to get out of the low-to-mid 80s. As usual with drams like this, I'll split the difference (maybe slightly on the high side given how much I enjoyed the nose).

4. AnnEm scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

Full power! At first he seemed quite charged to me. If it took some time to stand, then the flavors came into balance and I could see behind the "facade" better. Despite the 60% good edible pure. Looks a bit youthful. Overall, he gets a "good" for me.
      Mega creamy oak, fruity, very dense. Toasted malt. Very light carbon notes. Everything is woven into a beautiful network. Tobacco leaf. For me, the sherry shows itself with the typical note of fermented berries and plum jam. This sherry note becomes clearer with more time in the glass.
    • Taste
      Yes, 60%. Herb! Angry! Something is caught by the creaminess of the wood. Then evolves towards green walnut.
      Tart, slightly biting (which I also know from the Palo Cortado). Spicy honey. Green walnut / wood. After several sips, a Palo Cortado feeling actually builds up. Carried by a beautiful malty and oak flavor.

5. remcodevries scored this whisky 92 points Member Senior

A delicious cask strength whisky with a nice full aftertaste. Real taste bomb with a lot of depth.
      Underripe plum and salted dark chocolate, with a hint of cooked red fruit.
    • Taste
      Waxy peels and green oak, with chocolate digestives and autumnal red fruit.
      Caramel chocolate and honeycomb.