Mannochmore Loch Dhu

700 ml 750 ml 750 ml 1000 ml
10 Apr 2010 1:06 am
Colored

Whisky Reviews for Mannochmore Loch Dhu

37 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 50.69 points

1. ibenja scored this whisky 3 points Member Junior

The worst whisky I have ever tasted. Is it whisky or diluted asphalt matured in truck tyres casks? I trew it in da loo after the first (and only!) tentative to taste it. Nearly perfect masochist choice, so disgusting that it almost worth a try.

2. DarrenHJA scored this whisky 19 points Connoisseur

This bottling is some biohazard waste, as deadly as chemical warfare attacks. The stench arising from the liquid is horrid and attacks in a concentrated gaseous cloud.

I had a taste of it again (18/7/2020) to view my thoughts in a more open manner. However, I just cannot view it in any better way. Still atrocious.

Certainly deserves the place of being the top 10 whisky in the world, from the bottom.

A whisky which I would never give to my worst enemies as it's an overkill to do so.
      Smells like guinness stout from the start, not the usual one we know of and enjoy but a rather foul smelling one. Its like a stout that has gone bad for days after being left out in the open. The sourness is so sharp and just kills any attempt to properly nose it.

It is both extremely sherried and floral - here's why, dead flowers left to rot for days while tens of sherry nukes dropped onto that flower stench.

Let's be serious for a moment...I am able to pick up hints of sour plums, ripen pu erh tea, fermented shrimp paste, sweaty socks and a whole bunch of medicinal plants. Marmite and fermented soybeans like natto.

Smell of rotting fish is in the air, like I said its a hazard to the ecosystem.
    • Taste
      Unpleasant bitterness of burnt sugar, tires burning, burnt plastic, sherry everywhere but artificial of course. E150 laden wreck of a mess. NO FRUITS, NO fragrant herbs, NO citrus!!!
      Wet paper in the sun, damp clothes, cinnamon powder, lots of sour cream and spoiled milk. Very very bitter towards the end like bile or stomach acid.
      Medium in finish with a disgusting sensation that stays throughout the mouth. Vinegar gone bad, super sour and bitter than just makes me speechless beyond belief at how atrocious this whisky was made by Mannochmore.

Use plenty of water to gargle out this gunk and make sure to brush your teeth after. Don't forget the listerine. As for the glass, soak it in water and antibacterial soap, wash thoroughly after. Sanitize the area and make sure the liquid doesnt stain any surfaces. Use air freshener cause you will need it!!!!

3. lachaineduwhisky did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Tasted in the evening.

Burnt coffee, meat broth not tasty (umami, but not umami, what), fat, dull, soy sauce. Final ... tenacious (like a task).

It's not ... very good. It's ... not really whisky.

But I laughed so much, to see the head of my friends seeing my head to taste it, and I was so happy to be able to taste this "legendary" drink, that it will remain a good memory anyway.

Enthusiasm 3/5 (for the fun)

Whisky n ° 2044

4. Foamy scored this whisky 44 points Member Senior

I tried this one on 2 occasions, with months between.
    Just to be sure I didn't make a mistake the first time, because I couldn't believe my own tastin notes ... Well ... the second time confirmed the first notes.
    ink, oyster sauce (but worse).
    I don’t like it because I think there’s nothing to like in this over caramelized salty soapy dirty … buurrrppss

foaming vomit ... that's what this shit is.
    The bottlers should be called : 'The Tasteless Bastards'

5. PEATYBOI scored this whisky 49 points Expert Junior

A bottle famous for its funky and unpleasant taste...I will try my best to stay objective with this review.

On the nose, Chinese medicine, herbal tea, watered down coffee, and gamey. Well the nose does match up with the colour of the liquid...

On the palate, dry sherry?! At this point I am quite confused...do I taste plant-based medicine with dry sherry?! There are also hints of forced sweetness...horribly made hard candies? Soy sauce is also present. With time, sour plums and old raisins come out...this is making my stomach feel unwell...oh no...

The finish is unfortunately medium with cheap coffee and boiled vegetables.

Does this whisky deserve to be known as the 'worst whisky of all time'? I have no idea as I have not had my fair share of bad whisky experiences. However, is this whisky drinkable? Barely.

6. sagara-kun scored this whisky 40 points Expert Senior

The nose is ok. But in the mouth it's really unpleasant.
    Note that the caramel tint completely the glass and must be washed a good dozen times after drinking this whisky. Plan a good decision.
      Floral nose. Licorice. Pot pourri
      It is quite correct.
    • Taste
      In the mouth, this is where the dram begins ... it's bland. Water. Perfume, soap, tire. Only pleasure.
      Final on the perfume and .... we do not care we want to spit.

7. ctu scored this whisky 50 points Connoisseur

Wow, that's really horrible. The nose is still alright, but the others ...
      Plum, raisin and caramel. Bitter liquors, herbals and rubber.
    • Taste
      Bitter, lot of oak, salt, celery, horseradish, soy sauce, coffee and soup cube.
      Short, dry, bitter, acidic.

8. St. Pauli scored this whisky 63 points Connoisseur

It gets better (or less evil) when letting it rest in your glass for more than an hour. Quite an experience to taste this whisky.
      It coats to the glass like syrup and sticks for ages. Directly after pouring: plasticine, rubber, burnt tyre, extreme harsh balsamic vinegar, and bitter herbs. Some dried fruit can be detected, but from a far, far distance. Maple syrup, marmite.

Time heals: it gets better after one hour or so, with more influence of maturation in sherry casks (PX?). Yet, it still smells chemical and burnt.
    • Taste
      Sweet, dried fruits, plums, dates, raisins, but punchy and sour like balsamic acid (not a good one). It's extremely woody, like chewing oak.
      Burnt caramel, balsamic acid with added sugar, meat gravy, oak staves. It's all very drying.

9. WhiskyKravitz scored this whisky 55 points Expert Senior

While this is indeed bad bad bad, it's not a Bottom 5 whisky for me.  But it's still bad bad bad, Plan 9 From Outer Space bad.  (Rating: 45)

Burnt prunes. Burnt raisins. But mostly, burnt caramel. Then Worcestershire sauce intermingling with Kikkoman's regular soy sauce. Fresh celery, carpet, shredded wheat nuggets, and old library books. It's somewhat fungal, like foot fungus.
    • Taste
      Burnt coffee, and lots of it. Cardboard, or like licking a whisky label. Horseradish and dirt. It's so chemically, like someone tried to make a diet salty coffee soda syrup then gave up, added new make, and called it whisky. Bitterness. Sadness.
      It's still coffee-ish, but with ammonia. Acrid boiled collard greens.

10. Thermidor scored this whisky 45 points Expert Senior

Ahh, the legendary Loch Dhu. Let us have a moment of silence before diving in, in the memory of all the poor people who went there before us. ... There. Now, as an English policeman might say, wotsalldisden?

Well, it seems to be a bad Mannochmore, further adulterated by incomprehensible amounts of spirit caramel. In a sense it's a disappointment, that it's very obvious what went wrong here, and instead of entertaining you with epic tales of soap, hair lotion, or methanol, I can only sigh and say it's bad indeed, and then move on.

This is so far the lowest score I have given on this site, but thanks to a shady bottle of some kind of booze called Hong Thong brought by a friend from the far east, it's by no means even near the worst alcohol I've tasted. While Loch Dhu is bad enough to not want any more after the first sip, Hong Thong (5 pts.) made me spit out immediately, because the initial taste already made me concerned that just holding it on my tongue might be hazardous to my health, so there are always worse things on the market if you just look around...

Thanks to member GIORGOS for the sample!
      Bitter caramel, spoiled treacle, some kind of herbs that aren't intended for human consumption, and the cheapest licorice taffy. The nose is not totally repulsive, but it is completely alien to whisky: like, whatever made someone think anyone wanting to try a whisky would ever enjoy this? You can get some idea of the distillate behind the wall of caramel (not related to Spector's wall of sound), and that idea is "Mannochmore isn't the best of distillates, is it?" In a sense the odd bitterness-saltiness-sweetness-herbs combo makes me think that this could work as a cruel, mocking parody of 1950s or 1960s blends, because sans the overpowering caramel, some weird old bottle could actually smell like this.
      P.S. The people who say this spoils the glass it's in are correct. You can't get the smell out without a thorough wash.
    • Taste
      Oh, this is VILE. Somehow it's not at all as sweet as the nose could lead you to believe. Instead, it's at the same time overpoweringly bitter, burnt and ashy, and somehow flabby and watery on the tongue. Those unpalatable herbs come up here as well, accompanied by spoiled butter, synthetic leather, and again that odd burnt-but-not-smoky-nor-sulfurous flavor. As bad as this is, I can instantly think how it could be even worse (check out those old Moon Import Edradours if you can't), so my score shall reflect that. I have a feeling this bottle has been open for a while, which in this case would be a mercy, because I don't think I'd have enjoyed a fresh bottle more.
      Acrid herbs, moldy caramel. I need something to chase this away.