90.29/100
Sherrywood Matured
Strength
05 Apr 2010 7:14 pm

Whisky Reviews for Talisker 1979 CA

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.29 points

[December, 2015]  I bought this bottle after a tasting with about 20 cl left for 36 Euro in November, 2015.

These old Cadenhead Taliskers from the 70ies were the first non-standard bottlings I tasted back the late 90ies. ...and they made me a "Whiskymaniac" because of their high quality and exceptional price worthiness. But I am a little bit disappointed about this one.  Not that the quality of the whisky is bad as such - it is certainly the same great profile that I remember from the late 90ies.  But I had tried bourbon cask matured Cadenhead Taliskers back then - and that is exactly the reason why I now opened this sherrywood matured for curiosity.  Unfortunately, this one is spoiled by sulphur.

I did not know, that they started the practice of treating sherry casks with sulphur candles in the 70ies already. I DO NOT LIKE SULPHUR IN WHISKY (the reason why the stills are made of copper instead of steel is that copper takes out the sulphury notes during distilling ... and then they put this excellent new make in sulphur treated casks - what a shame!).  Maybe some people like this sulphury taste (if you do not own the genes for sulphur detection it might be easier for you), all others should leave this bottle for the collectors.

Without the sulphur I probably would have rated this whisky above 90 points,,,