- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 17 years old
- ex-Bourbon & ex-Sherry Casks
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Glass Print Label
- Added on
- 22 Mar 2010 3:56 pm
26 × in wishlist
149 × member ratings
349 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Old Pulteney 17-year-old
17 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.58 points
- I find less sherry than I did in the 12 years and the 17 years have moved a few spots up the ladder, with more complexity, more maturity and just more quality.
- The elder brother of 12, the same style, adjusted for age, added fortress and sherry barrels; minimalistic, but strong and recognizable base overgrown with additional sherry shades, acquired depth and power, and also kept quite an attractive price for whisky of this age and quality.
Saturated, dense, mineral-lemonade, in the background notes of dried fruits and cream tones.
Rich, spicy oak, orange peels, ginger, cream, fondant, toffee, light salty.
Ginger-orange (crusts), warming, spicy, in the background - creamy notes.
- gentle aromas, very one-dimensional 80 out of 100 points
soft smell, soft pear, summer cereals, some marzipan yes, there is not so much left
in the beginning sweet bright yellow fruit apricot / pear pleasantly sweet, a little almond, more like a very mild good schnapps
Medium, weak, sweet, bright fruit, boring
- A very bright, "sparkling" malt with a pleasant "maritime touch". / A few drops of H2O make the 17-year-old (in contrast to the 21-year-old Old Pulteney) in my opinion even more interesting.
In the first impression very clear, intense, sherrytönig. (Reminds me of Glenfarclas 21y.)
Very nice, sharper start. Not alcoholic, but chilli-ish. The second sip of oak is added. / With a few drops of water very flowery, the mixture of light and dark fruits becomes more intense. Nevertheless, pleasant chill in the mouth.
An intense finish. In the end, actually a bit sourish apple. / With a little water, a gentle, medium-long finish convinces.
- He smells great, oak, without any irritation. The Spanish and American oak blend perfectly. Spicy, strong, a campfire whisky.
Fruity and spicy aroma, red apples, pear, cardamom, nutmeg, peat, malt, vanilla and floral honey. Vanilla sweet taste, pepper, mint, orange, nutmeg, walnuts and malt. Medium long, fruity and malty end.