Highland Park 16-year-old

5010314061906
22 Mar 2010 2:37 pm
Colored

Whisky Reviews for Highland Park 16-year-old

7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.92 points

1. Indianerhäuptling scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

2. HunterRomario scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

As part of preparations for the festival masterclass, we received Nethare's post every seven samples of 100 ml each, which we also blindly tasted to be in the same skin as later participants of our guided tasting. We split the samples to thirds. We first tasted the first and wrote notes. In the second round, we made a tasting "videoconference" together with Nethar via Skype.
    We then sent the processed results to Peter by e-mail, and then the identity of all seven samples was declassified. The selection was then reduced to five samples, so we discarded two old whiskys (Old Pulteney Noss Head and Glenlivet The Master Distillers Reserve) and we chose to make a selection from our point of view and we welcomed two whiskys (Glenfarclas 105 and Laphroaig QA cask), around which a bit of contradictory reaction was in the forum, which is suitable for the blind test because it could blindly "filter out" any prejudices. So I put my scraps of tastings down. Everyone was at least 4 times, three times at home, and fourth at masterclass.
      Honey, vanilla, malt, mild fruit tones and spices (mainly cinnamon). Lighter style, but the sweet, fruity spice is quite distinctive. I also discovered citrus, and a third tasting and frugality. And, as is customary with HP, a light breeze of peat. (84 b)
    • Taste
      On the tongue, light, smooth, honey-fruity and malt (at the first tasting I was slightly mild, but the impression was getting better). Gradually a little bit of peat appears and in the third tasting I registered the pepper. (83 b)
      Here I tipped BenRiach 16 yo, then GlenDronach 14 yo Virgin Oak and finally I tipped to GlenDronach Peated (I did not drink here, but I would probably imagine it). I have to say that this is probably one of those bottles that I would taste for gradually and have the whole bottle, I would probably be happy, the impression improved with every further admiration. It just has something in it, even if it does not show it somewhat stupidly, at first inconspicuous, gradually showing its quality. It was special that I discovered the fate of the third tasting.

3. BeatF scored this whisky 81 points Moderator

somewhat inelegant and sombre, quite suitable for consumption after an uncomfortable flight in a lonely hotel room in a world like "Lost in Translation".
      Nutty, chocolate, mint, vanilla, could come with the hay smell from the Highlands
    • Taste
      Some wood and some orange peel are added
      now also smoke, honey, a little disturbed departure of sherry casks (probably not the very best quality). Or was the "cut" here even extensively measured? Anyway, this duty-free bottling of the airport atmosphere seems to have left behind some kerosene / petroleum-like stuff.

4. Malt Hans scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

Fruity and malty aroma, floral honey, red

apples, cloves, anise, vanilla and peat. Vanilla sweet and malty taste,

ginger, mint, peat and spinach. Medium long and malty end.

5. granella2003 scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur

The nose it has notes of sherry and peat and is smoky and spicy. In the mouth there is a

rich, full-bodied with aromas of heather honey. The finish is medium, sweet first

and then averaged dry

6. Drochaid scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

A litre of Highland Park`s discontinued 16 year old whisky, previously destined for the travel retail market.

7. hsmithjr scored this whisky 79 points Connoisseur

The 12 and 18 are much more balanced.  This lacked the HP character one hopes to find.
      Rather light compared to the 12 and 18.  Honey and heather. Almond cake.  Anis.  Some diesel?
    • Taste
      Again, lighter than expected.  Vanilla.  Floral and grassy.  Some fresh herbs.
      Too short.  Honey and more grass.