Glendronach 18-year-old Allardice

Strength
LN11496
17 Jan 2020 11:50 am by jstep83

Whisky Reviews for Glendronach 18-year-old Allardice

4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.58 points

1. CXEDDY scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

2. Joint86 scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

3. stnlskz scored this whisky 90 points Member Senior

A whisky is always more valuable when it is linked to a specific memory.
    The day I discovered this 18 years old Glendronach, I was with one of my best friends at the Amber Bar in Edinburgh, watching a match of the Stade Rennais on a smartphone. Might as well tell you that the context was original.
    We'd had four whiskies: Ailsa Bay, Mortlach 12 years old, Smokehead Bomber and that famous GlenDronach. Very quickly, we only had eyes for him, he had something extra that the other three didn't have.
    I didn't take notes at the time, but his sherry print had made an impression on me. A few months later, I bought a sample, to put my nose back in my memory.
    And I quickly remembered why the other whiskies looked so unremarkable against this GlenDronach. Already, its mahogany color and golden reflections are mesmerizing.
    And then, on the nose... it is first sublimely woody and confronts me with a complexity similar to its little brother Revival. The sherry lets beautiful notes of caramel, dark chocolate, leather and orange blossom. I find it particularly intoxicatingly fine.
    Every sip is absolutely silky. It has a very soft attack but gains power in the middle of the mouth. I find red fruits (strawberry, raspberry), spices (pepper, ginger), then I find the wood and orange perceived in the nose, and the finish is roasted. He's a tightrope walker who walks with his eyes closed.
    The finish brings me to notes of coffee, oak, milk chocolate and nuts. It's quite long and delicate. The tightrope walker does not attempt a backward salto, but his movements are perfectly mastered.
    This GlenDronach, named after the founder of the distillery, was a real slap in the face for me. I love Speyside single malts aged in sherry casks, and this one was beyond all my expectations.

4. Marcel74 scored this whisky 92 points Expert Junior

Very complex and evolving, this whisky has it all
      Sherry, oak, sweet and fruity, coffee, intensely aromatic, dark syrup, raisins, dark cherries, warm orange pie
    • Taste
      Warm fruit, orange, warm sultana bread, spicy, oak, leather, sweet and sherry, chocolate
      Caramelized walnuts, date oil, long and full