Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

Mortlach 1936 GM Decanter

50 ml 750 ml
19 Mar 2010 5:19 pm
UncoloredSingle Cask Whisky

Whisky Reviews for Mortlach 1936 GM Decanter

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 94.13 points

1. ctu scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

Impressively viscous, soft, complex and creamy whisky, absolute premium category.
      Complex and deep. Sherry, honey, caramel, vanilla pudding, dried fruits and raisin. Lacquered wood, spicy oak, eucalyptus, mint, rum, coconut and a bit woodsmoke. Wonderful.
    • Taste
      Incredibly soft and creamy. Mixed fruit jelly, Haribo, Verbena candies and milk caramel. Candied orange peel, tobacco and ash. Matured, spicy oak. Lemon sorbet. Sumptuous!
      Long, creamy, spicy and fruity.

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

I have just tried this one which I thought was the same whisky/casks etc
    I previously got this at 91 points and trying this again to compare the two I would this higher than last time I scored it, r but it is not as nice as the Sestante certainly a few marks below but still a great dram.
    I have to ask myself why, if they are the same whisky why is the Sestante better, must be the decanter and how it was stored, strange for sure?
    I also did this H2H with this old Macpail's which is supposed to be Macallan
    The Macpail's was not as nice as the Mortlach even though it was 5 years younger the oak got to it but Mortlach is a heavier spirit which may explain it

3. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

Well I am 50 today and this my first  pre breakfast dram, start as I mean to go on.

Its a little fragile and the woody bitterness is there along with the musty old books but I think my score from 2 years ago is correct with nose being the best part, being completely honest an overall score of 89-90 points is correct for this one.

4. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

5. lincolnimp scored this whisky 91 points Connoisseur

It is a rarity to drink a pre war whisky and this is superb and perfectly suited to my palate. Perhaps I am looking at it through rose tinted glasses but who cares. Absolute pleasure, for me anyway, glad I got it when I did.
    Unfortunately these decanters are very expensive now but well worth buying IMHO just for the experience.
      Nose - Honey, vanilla, menthol, rum & raisin, slight fruitiness, whisp of smoke.
    • Taste
      Really nice, soft,creamy on old leather, a little tobacco, orange peel. There is some oak in there which probably explains the slight bitterness. At the death there is a a hint of zesty spiciness.
      Creamy but fades a little which is hardly suprising at this age.