85.00/100
Blend
Chivas Brothers Ltd. (Chvs)
Blended Scotch Whisky
1970s
Strength
75 (proof)
Bottled for
N.A.A.F.I Stores for HM Forces
14 Dec 2019 5:37 pm by Slàinte Mhath

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Chivas Regal 12-year-old

4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.00 points

1. peatbogger scored this whisky 83 points Specialist

First of all thanks to Slàinte Mhath for not just a sample, but for leaving the bottle.
    That's not to the fact that he didn't enjoy it, I think he got access to more :-)
    After nervously eye balling this bottle, expecting a disintegrated cork after decades of storage leaving a slightly moulded seal, we found it to be a screw cap.
    Level well into the neck, we figured we would do it justice by compairing it H2H with a recent Chivas 12YO.
    How did it hold up?
    Are the blends of yesteryear different, and more importantly better than what we are presented with today?
    Checking my score of the current 12YO I can see I've given it a measly 71 points.
    Maybe a bit harsh, but a bit harsh is how I remember my last encounter with it.
    Rough around the edges, alcoholic, dull and without any finish to be worth mentioning.
    For our reference from a couple of miniatures I would probably stretch that score to 74 points.
    Batch inconsistancy or pallate fatigue?
    It was not bad, but still an arms lenght away of what I would reach out for.
    So with that improved impression is there any comparison to the older stuff that most likely was destilled in the '60's and has spent 4 maybe 5 decades in a bottle?

Spoiler alert; with 83 points it is 9 points ahead in the H2H and 12 points more than my general score of the recent 12YO.
    The major differnce is in the follow through.
    The old one is escalating in points; fair nose -> good taste -> decent finish.
    The new one is totally opposit; fair nose -> poor taste -> no finish.
      At first the nose is incredably compairable.
      I think the major contributor to Chivas which has always been Strathisla is "shining" through.
      In stead of describing each and every note I found it better to focus on the differences. We've all had a basic Chivas 12, have we not?
      This is bolder, more cask, far less alcoholic.
      Yes, it's got the nose of a blend, but it's definitely more malty. It's richer, almost more mature even though the bottles states the same age.
      It's more wood influence, and it's nice wood.
      Yes there is a certain similarity between dunnage warehouse and an old musty basement, but I doubt this got it's nose from 40+ years in a cabinet.
      Some basic similarities, but also major and pleasant differences in favour of the old bottle.
    • Taste
      This is where it diverts.
      The "new make" arrives with a light alcoholic tinge, weak on actual taste, or maybe expressed as lack of interest.
      Yeah, it goes down without retching, but there's very little excitement.
      The old one arrives with wood spice.
      It's got liqorice and espresso which is not present in the new one.
      Each on their own it may not be miles ahead, but head to head it feels like it is.
      What's the major contributor to the difference? Better casks? More malt?
      Probably a combination. We all know the detoriation of cask quality of later years, and in the -60's the malt stills were running at full steam.
      And close to 5 decades in a well sealed bottle has not hurt this liquid one bit. A short contemplation of seeking out Doc Brown to research what it tasted like when it was freshly bottled boiled away as we all were to intoxicated to hit 88 mph safely.
      And this is where it gets interesting.
      Have a sip of todays Chivas, it's bland but not offending, partly because as you swallow it is more or less gone.
      This is dancing around for quite a while, barley sugar and wood playing ping pong in your mouth.
      It's solid, it's interesting, and I guess it's what once made Chivas stand out as a blend.

2. Slàinte Mhath scored this whisky 85 points Super Administrator

Bottled for the British Armed Forces in the 1970s, this old version of Chivas Regal 12 was discovered in a musty basement after four decades of storage. What secrets does it hold? A bit reluctant at first, the aroma reveals tinned pineapple, shortbread and wood spices. The taste is silky and yet robust, featuring notes of kiwi, cumin and peppery licorice. Quality casks are shining through, not the inferior refill casks they use for most blends nowadays. Creamy vanilla, roasted nuts and a dash of oak fade in semidry and lingering finish. What a blast from the past!

RATING: 3.7/5.0 stars ≙ 85 pts → ABOVE AVERAGE [+]

3. karloff scored this whisky 83 points Specialist

This was a sample courtesy of peatbogger and Slainte Mhath. It's a shame this wasn't opened by the guy who first owned it because he would have enjoyed it. BUT it has now been opened and there are other guys enjoying it including me.
    This is much better than what they are knocking out today.
      The first thing that hits me is glue, but it's that tinned glue that smelt really nice and what glue sniffers would use to get off their tits. Anyway after a couple of minutes in the glass it has faded to the background. Now there are dried fruits, a fresh plaster (band aid), toffee apple, midget gems sweets, cream soda and orange pith. By the way, by the time I finished this that glue smell was almost gone.
    • Taste
      Nice and fruity with just a little spice. More cream soda as well and I remember picking up a lot of cream soda in my tasting notes for Strathisla. You can hardly taste the grain on this but I don't mind as long as the balance is right.
      Nice creamy and smooth texture, shortbread biscuits with a little bit of ginger and honey.
      A medium finish that is slightly drying and a little bitter but all in the right way, the same effect you get when you eat a raspberry or a cranberry.

4. Feorag86 scored this whisky 85 points Expert Junior

Oranges, apricot jam, lemongrass, thyme, white pepper and cucumber
    • Taste
      Liquorice, zest of orange, vanilla and cinnamon
      Espresso, raw chocolate and walnuts