- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- The Distillers Edition
- Double Matured in Montilla Fino Cask-Wood
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml 750 ml
- Bottle code
- L3204 CM000
- Added on
- 01 Dec 2019 8:44 pm
13 × in wishlist
114 × member ratings
246 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Oban 1998
19 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.50 points
- Almond marzipan. Dark chocolate light smoke and old wood combine very homogeneously. Generally I have to say that I find the standard 14 really boring. The d. Editions are a completely different caliber. The 2010 was better. But here, too, has blossomed well. At first it was very disappointing but after 5 months it got really good and we wondered o. It was the same painting. So the custom time ...
- An interesting, not very simple but good malt; not very cheap!
Fruits (apple, pear, grape); Salt; very subtle smoke;
reserved, fruity-nutty approach; Oranges, caramel, nuts, dry, pepper, oak, complex;
nice, medium-long salty, spicy finish;
- Rich flavor of baking products, sweet grapes, fresh fruits (a lot of peach, apple, melon), dried apricot, a little bit salty and bitter. Taste is weaker: sweet and fruity. Finish is short and empty, little bit tart. Empty dram keeps notes of new wood and dried fruits.
- A cool mole, from the habit of waiting for Oban oak strength in the taste and finish, but was pleasantly surprised, at first a deep and rich for 14 years flavor, and then taste, oak traditionally a lot, but somehow managed to accurately weave it into the overall picture, that he acts as a background for the mass of citrus-confectionery and sherry derivatives. Bravo, very good work, with a fairly modest endurance and commercial fortress, excellent density and depth, excellent balance, potency, bravo.
Open, dry, grain, wood, sawdust, processed wood, grease-oil notes - oily rags, used frying oil; light lemon-orange and floral tones, mineral motifs - stone dust, rubble, plaster; lollipops, lemonade.
Thick, oily, wood, lollipops, lemon, orange, tangerines, creamy confectionery notes, dried fruits, cola - a real festive extravaganza.
Spicy, warming, oily, ginger candied fruits, light spicy oak, orange peels, compote with citrus, burnt crackers, leavened wort, velvet beer.
- Nuts and silt. Very spicy also in taste. Finish is short and does not change the taste much.
- [December, 2013] I found this dram in a commercial advents calendar. In
my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50
- 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 85. I
took no detailed notes and never bought a commercial advents calender
- n: oban always has a little narrow profile on the nose, in this case I´d rather
call it slender. it benefits from the fino finish which did not disfigure it.
sour oranges, limestone, a few nuts, a little bit of oak. sea air, iodine
there is almost no smoke in this one.
t: lovely harmony. medium sweet with a creamy texture. the nutty side is a little
stronger than on the nose, it´s quite malty too. it´s also more coastal on the
palate. a nice salty edge and I believe the smoke is right behind.
f: not very fat, still quite long, slowly drying.
comments: oban is a brand for people who are after subtlety.
I always liked the 14yo . this one is a tad rounder. great character!