- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- The Ardbeg Committee
- Calculated age
- 23 years old
- Sherry Butt
- Number of bottles
- 55.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 24 Jan 2008 11:47 am
40 × in wishlist
52 × member ratings
60 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Ardbeg 1976
6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 94.24 points
- Another brilliant sherried ardbeg ob single cask, tasted together with 2390 which I slightly prefer
- http://kaypingers-whiskyblog.de/frontend/fullarticle.php?id=291 Colour: Copper Rostrot Nose: Orange, leather, tobacco and vanilla - these are the first buzz words! Sherrylastige phenols, honey, liqueur, nuts, wood, fresh raisins, beach campfire, ashes and some barbecue and oily-pickled herbs. Leading is and remains the unruly leather and tobacco note! Taste: Spicy, peaty and wood-laden. With red fruits, lots of leather, juicy tobacco leaves, espresso, balsamic, oil and an ingenious and continuous salinity. Add herbs, oak, licorice, mocha and steadily rising vanilla. Finish: Long - tart, tender woody and even slightly bitter. Spicy with nuts, herbs and partly bitter wood, fruit tea bags, caramel, peat and leather. 94 points N: 94P / G: 94P / F: 93P
- Surprisingly, this is still quite a peat bomb despite its age. This is the first #239x sherry cask I've tried, and I am not disappointed at all. Not as elegant or balanced as I thought it would be (in fact, it's a bit wild at times), but this is still better than let's say the Uigeadail 2003 or 2004, which believe it or not, are in the same continuum, albeit not as good, as this #2392 and probably at less than a tenth the cost. Let's not beat around the bush though. This whisky is awesome. 94 points. At 55%, I can chug this, that's right!
- Tasting note by Serge Valentin
Ardbeg 23 yo 1976/2000 Committee (55%, OB, sherry cask #2392, 528 b.) Big, bold and rich Ardbeg, but not the most impressive I tasted. 89 points (not solid)
- This Whisky was sold for 1.619 € at Whiskyauction in Jan. 2015
- The ultimate orgasm for peat maniacs like me. Taste this and you know, where Ardbeg's reputation comes from.
Powerful with intensive peaty (Lapsang Souchong) and sherry flavors. Plenty of lemon juice and liquorice complete a punchy nose.
An explosion of flavor. Bold and rich concentrate made of peat & sherry. Lapsang Souchong and liquorice are the main players with lemon zest in the background.
Wooooooow!!! Never ending, mainly on peat and Lapsang Souchong. Slightly bitter. No chance to taste any other whisky the same day.