88.07/100
Refill Butt
Strength
24 Nov 2019 5:07 pm by Tauti

Whisky Reviews for Ben Nevis 2005 MBl

9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.07 points

1. Kantenmechaniker scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Phew, I'm having a hard time. If I had gone here with the expectation of a bourbon barrel with light smoke, I would say "yes expectation fulfilled". But so .... hmmm, difficult.
    Not a bad whisky by far, but nothing that I would buy like that.
    Exciting with the whole rare constellation at all times and if I close my eyes, forget all the data and just drink it, it would have earned a good 87 points too, but I deduct 1 point from the confusion and unfulfilled expectation.

I would like to add that here on the bottle there is really no misleading sherry. Only the dealer's details and the color created expectations.
      Wow, really wow, I was expecting a lot, but not that an overripe banana is hitting me here, it's like I just smell a banana that has been lying around without its peel for a while, I don't find smoke at first The basic character, like a banana, is sweet at first, what was that for a sherry barrel, it is not that bright either, the banana impression wears off over time, caramel, greasy, still not really smoke and open for me not "heavily peated", but the bacon could bring a slight smoky note, huch there is the banana, now it is Müller Milch Banana, really 1 to 1, I have to drink, maybe that helps with the breakdown, no that Drinking has brought no new insights, something burnt caramel
    • Taste
      ok, a little different, namely no banana surge, sweet, vanilla, yes here something like smoke, but not HP, again the bacon, hmm not really sherry, intense, not really bad either, but not what you expect from the data, the alcohol is well integrated, well the fruit is the one that comes to mind most in the end, even if it is not nearly as clear as in the nose.
      slightly ashy smoke, some vanilla, more one-dimensional in the back, but ok

2. pianoman scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Phenolic smoke. Sweet. Glacier ice candies, jelly bananas. Lemon, kumquats. Some pineapple. Mint, thyme.
    • Taste
      Tart, fruity, tart. Green apples. White gummy bears. Wood ash, salt liquorice, burnt herbs.

3. Fight65 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

4. Carlos scored this whisky 87 points Expert Junior

5. Matthias80 scored this whisky 78 points Expert Junior

I admit I'm biased because I've never had a taste of Ben Nevis that I really liked. I have always noticed bad marks. So let's see.

I am rather pleasantly surprised. Although I think there is a slight mistake in it again, but if you think it away, that's a nice dram, so there is a deduction anyway.
      Rather subtle in the nose, at first I notice zests, actually a hint of solvents, but there were worse ...
      Now I take in slightly winey aromas, like pickled cherries, some chocolate and citrus.
    • Taste
      What a start and an abundance! Full force of barrel strength and wonderfully integrated. The solvent is gone. I notice chocolate, citrus and cherries again. Add to that caramel and something orange.
      I wonder where the smoke is now. Neither the nose nor the palate can agree with the 'Heavily Peated' here.
      In the finish I notice the hint of solvents again. Cocoa, zest, caramel and cherries are even clearer (and more pleasant).

6. Whiskybilly scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

According to the color you will get a nice, elegant sherry in your nose and a pleasant ripe banana is well integrated. There is only a shy peat note like we know that from Springbank in the back. Caramel sweetness with a dusty drawer is there as well. Old fashion. If you do not read the label first, you would believe that this Whisky is older and definitely not heavily peated.
    On the palate it changes... the banana disappears and peat smoke takes over, some dry sherry notes with a very light bitterness is fade-in.
    The finish is mid long and is fading out in waves.
    A beautiful Ben Nevis for a fair price!

7. Sleinn nam Ffoh scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

8. MadScientist scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

9. drammelzee scored this whisky 91 points Member Senior

Sublime dram!
    Had this at a The Maltman tasting alongside the new 20 year old and this 14 year old peated BN was the winner, rich nose, full bodied and a long warm finish.
    Overripe bananas, with burnt caramel, milk chocolate and lovely integrated pest.
    Good stuff!