- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Single Malt for Ian Macleod & Co
- Stated Age
- 05 years old
- Bourbon Barrels
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 05 Mar 2010 5:57 pm
2 × in wishlist
13 × member ratings
22 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Magilligan Pure Pot Still
7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 77.18 points
- Tasted on 08-08-2020 in Straberg.
- Very light Irish to sip on a lazy summer day. Nothing special IMHO.
Dried leaves and husky note. Dusty nose of cereal warehouse, although
quite bread-y, but rather raw. The stillman making a wee late cut
Palate:- Acidic and strangely dry with grapefruits sourness linger on.
Finish:- Harsh, hints of cough syrup and ethyl. Short. Rather unpleasant.
— at The Whiskey Bar, Kuala Lumpur.
- Very enjoyable dram
Lovely malty, vanilla nose on this. A touch of feints perhaps?
Mmm, very nearly barley sugar. Cream and madiera cake
Quite spicy and nearly hot, but ultimately controlled. Medium length.
- There is also an 8 year old peated Magilligan, as well as a 1991 Vintage Sherry Wood Finish. The unpeated well version costs around 37 EUR in Belgium. Very easy going card players whiskey.
The nose is fresh, very sweet and smells of caramelized pineapple cubes. It has got quite some lime and peach and a hint of nuts. Softly spiced. Fresh and fruity, but very light. Do I detect a bit of peat, even? Probably just my imagination.
It is crispy on the palate, very accessible, with a slight bite from the spices. Very nice. A touch grainy. The emphasis is on lime here.
The finish is medium long and probably the most interesting part of this Magilligan. It turns nicely warm from some white pepper, is slightly drying with again the ghost of peat wondering around.
- This is a very interesting whiskey, it's only 5yo. So fruity, but the finish is a disaster, very tasteless. With a better finish, it could easily get a couple of points more..
The nose feeling is a cooling one. Very fruity, exotic fruits.
So many layers of fruit, and a nice spicy attack.
Short finish, rather tasteless...