87.10/100
11 Nov 2019 6:47 pm by g00se
ColoredChillfiltered

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Talisker 18-year-old

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.10 points

1. valasios scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

• Taste

2. g00se scored this whisky 86 points Expert Junior

So now it is empty and what can I say? It's been hard for me all the time to form an opinion about this whisky. I'm already a Talisker fan, but there are bottlings that either taste just cheap (Skye or Storm) or don't kick me; so happens with this 18yo. It was a birthday present and, from that point of view, a pretty awesome one. It could have been worse for me if I read what other recipients get like this :-p

But now my purely subjective impression: My expectations for this whisky were definitely higher, just like others raved about it. The donor is also an absolute fan of the 18yo and we have often pondered and debated about it. And because of this exchange and again the knowledge of how different the tastes can be, I don't want to bad-mouth the 18yo Talisker, but my biggest argument against a purchase is simply the price. You can now read why this is so:

In my eyes, the 18-year-old Talisker is more the gentleman. I see him sitting with his pipe in the corner of his mouth, his legs folded over in the leather armchair in front of the fireplace and leafing through the newspaper. The hazy sunlight of an autumn evening falls through a window onto a hat and coat hanging over the backrest. It is very warm. So you can linger.
    Some people can slow down and sink into this. But this picture showed itself to me continuously and became increasingly boring as the water level decreased. Sure, playing with the addition of water is interesting at the beginning and makes the gentleman more accessible, softer; but especially towards the end of the bottle I preferred his rugged nature ... And I wished for his younger brother as a company one time or another. Certainly also a matter of character, but in any case I have not yet arrived in the snobby upper class.

So someone should offer me a dram of this whisky, I would not refuse, but I would buy the 10yo or the Destillers Edition.

Therefore I am very excited about the 15yo bottling. I hope it creates the connection and the best of two worlds!
    • Taste