- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
- Bottling serie
- Beauty beyond skin deep
- Stated Age
- 30 years old
- Refill Sherry Butt
- Number of bottles
- 46.9 % Vol.
- 700 ml 750 ml
- Added on
- 11 Nov 2019 10:15 am by Tauti
3 × in wishlist
19 × member ratings
28 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Macallan 1989 SMWS 24.139
3 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.82 points
- SMWS Tasting Notes: It quivers in golden, glistening stillness to begin. But it climbs up the glass. Slow and sure. Breakfast is served! Maple bacon, pancake batter, cranberry gravy, chocolate chip cookie dough in mid-bake. Some musty oranges, tempered by uber-ripe cantaloupe melon. We’re a long way from the days of old for this distillery, but we’re also closer to its true, stodgy, thick and loveable heart. Water gives us golden sultanas, fruit load, seed breads and toasty, buttery, comforting warmth. A glow of golden syrup comes drizzling from on high. In the mouth it rolls in like a wave of sweetened squirty cream. Syrups, dark fruit extracts, brown sugar caramelising in a pan with butter. Warm brioche, croissants freshly liberated from a hot oven, hazelnut chocolate spread, earthy, subtle wood spices and little teaspoons of treacle. Water lifts up the earth, the forest freshness, the dusty rafters and the tobacco pouches. It’s all rather emotional in the end. What was, what is and what’s been lost...
- In the long-term aging, re-injection of Shirley barrel brings the mellow and fruity aroma to the wine body. This is a wine that can bring you infinite reveries-at this moment, the stars are hanging and shining.
- Issue price in 12/2019 was £ 1350