Daftmill 2008

88.69/100
WB142069
Summer Batch Release (UK)
2008
2019
Calculated age
Bourbon
56,58,60,62,65,66
Strength
05 Nov 2019 1:23 pm by Maeve_Ard

Whisky Reviews for Daftmill 2008

22 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.69 points

1. lincolnimp scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Release price is £95, already sold out from the main distributor Berry Brothers.
    At an auction near you very soon.
    I will open mine as soon as it arrives :)
    Looks like I will not be opening it after all, BBR have over subscribed and I got an email saying my order was cancelled, great stuff, what a crap way to treat customers. :(

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

Well after the BBR email I had a look around and manged to get this bottle today for the RRP of £95 so I consider myself lucky.
    I have of course opened it immediately because whisky is for drinking not flipping and when over £300 is being asked only a week after the release date on the secondary market, people need to see a note and decide if it is worth it.
    Not a great depth of profile but a very enjoyable whisky in a classic lowland style and as close to Rosebank as you will get.
    When this has been opened a few weeks I will try this against some younger Rosebank's to see if that assessment is right?
    This is the first tasting note on here, this may be a little light for some but at 46% an easy drinking malt with a nice fruity profile.
    Is it worth £95, to me yes in scheme of things it is but any more definitely no.
      Crisp, clean & citrussy is my first thought, then a little cream.
      Lemon & grapefruit are the main fruit flavours with a hint of pear and a little gooseberry but before the berries are ripe and a little tart.
      After a few minutes in the glass there is a little dry grass,
    • Taste
      Wow, very fruity, fizzy and full of peppery spice, good mouthfeel.
      What you have here is basically the lighter colours of the sweets in a fruit gum packet, the indication on the nose is all there on the palate.
      It has the lemon, grapefruit and some fresh pineapple with hints of a few other fruits but its like there is a little sugar in the mix it is sweet but far from too sweet and as you go on it gets a little dry and just a hint of something ever so slightly bitter which is linked to the fruit.
      The spice remains, the fruit subsides a little as you go on.
      Not this bottles strongest point was my first thought but actually it is not too bad, remaining spicy and fruity until the end.
      I would describe it as fresh on the finish & quite lip smacking.

3. Jackson05 scored this whisky 91 points Expert Senior

As a Canadian I am very rarely/never in a position to be one of the first to review a hyped new release. Well eat your hearts out all you Daftmill fanboys and fangirls. A big thanks to my friend for sending this sample across the big pond. I really have no feelings toward Daftmill one way or another. I am aware of the hype, but it’s inaccessible to me anyways. So I am indifferent, and I have no problem calling it like I see it.

Ok Daftmill, you got me. Worlds apart from the 2006 Daftmill (125177), that I’m having beside it (I rate that a 77/100). This is like 8 parts older Bushmills 2 parts 73 speyside. A serious compliment. A revelation. Very impressive release. One I’ll remember and isn’t that what it’s all about? Now all you hoarders and flippers, just leave enough to come to Canada next time... All aboard the hype train. Choo choo!
      It first off reminds me of a good clean Irish malt, but with a bit more heft. Grassy, tinned pear, peach and kiwi. Crisp apple. Gentle floral notes. I want to say parma violets, but I always associate that as a bad thing, I like it here. Crystal clean and pure distillate. A waxy edge and a drop of honey and with time more honey comes out. Lovely start
    • Taste
      Oily and quenching. Sharp fruits, mandarin, Asian pear, lychee. Honey and vanilla, a good amount of both. Tree bark, pine and a little mint.
      Clover honey, lychee, more honey, sap even. Mint grows, I like that. Some twigs, pine. Medium to short finish, but maybe I just want it longer. Really nice indeed. I never added water to my sample.

4. mr_barleycorn scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

Insanely full nose. Intense fruit notes of ripe pears, yellow kiwi, star fruit, lychee, a little lemon peel. I also have to think of tangerine cake with custard, which is a little too sweet. In addition butter cookies and white chocolate, sandalwood, Bircher muesli and freshly ground white pepper. The alcohol is practically imperceptible in the nose, but carries the intense aroma load. A dream!
    • Taste
      Sweet vanilla and the cereal notes now come to the fore on the tongue. The alcohol is present but dosed just right. Again I find a potpourri of ripe bright fruits, especially the star fruit. But also the pears and the tangerines are at the start. With a second sip, the fruits become more exotic. The entire mouth is lined with an oil layer. As with previous releases of the distillery, a fine butteriness spreads and envelops the other flavors.
      Medium to long. Vanilla, butter, lemon peel and a slightly spicy note. What is also noticeable in the finish is a slight musty note that makes you think of a wet cellar and stale water. I put this off-note back on the cork of the bottle, which I had to replace immediately after opening, since it was obviously spoiled. Fortunately, the contact between the distillate and the cork was short, so that only the finish suffered.

5. karloff scored this whisky 90 points Specialist

This was a sample courtesy of Lincolnimp and it's my first Daftmill. I will hopefully get a bottle one day when everything calms down and it becomes more affordable. To all those Flippers, it's your loss.
      Very nice fruity nose and again there are lots and lots of fruity noses but some stand out from the crowd and this is jumping and waving.
      Cream soda, foam banana sweet, anybody remember them?
      Nought, green apple skins and cooked apples.
      This is so soft on the nose you wouldn't think you were nosing alcohol.
      Custard cream biscuit and vanilla extract.
    • Taste
      Well I was expecting something extra special from what I got from the nose and all I got was special, still not bad ;)
      This reminds me of an old Strathisla, soft on the palate and more of that cream soda and foam banana.
      46% is right on the nose and a couple of sips down the glass that extra might be another couple of sips away.
      This is going down far to easy, it's nice and creamy with just the right amount of spice.
      A medium finish that is a little drying but I wouldn't want it any other way because it just holds everything together tight and then lets them fade gently. Extra it is.

6. dram-drinker scored this whisky 88 points Moderator

It's light and fruity, easy drinkable, probably lacking a bit of complexity but quite enjoyable, little bit of a fruit salad for dessert - really not bad
      Light, fruity, pear, apple, pineapple, hints of dry hay, honey - really good
    • Taste
      Oily, fruity, good sweetness, vanilla, more pears and apples, some peach and apricot, probably also little banana
      Medium long, warm, fruity and sweet

7. Tuboo did not rate this whisky Member Senior

From the BB&R website :

The nose of this 2008 is initially quite floral and slightly spiced, somewhat drier than the 2006 whiskies Daftmill released in 2018. With a little time in the glass, the aromas develop into stewed apple and cinnamon, with some buttery shortbread notes building. The palate offers more spiced apple, but with a pleasant herbal note on the mid-palate. A touch of water brings out some fresh baked sponge cake, a slight grassiness and notes of tinned peach. A long finish balances waves of spice with vanilla and fresh fruit. A very exciting first glimpse of the 2008 vintage from Daftmill.

Sold out on BB&R as of Nov 5th, however more to appear online in the near future as there are nearly 2000 bottles. Don't auction panic buy yet!

8. whiskystore scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

This one keeps and forwards the tradition of great lowland whisky.

Nose: ripe gooseberry, pear, grapefruit, peach, honey, mineral, a little peppery, really good nose.

Taste: creamy, fruity, little violet in a good way, ripe fruit, pears, yummy.

Finish: fruity and herbal.

Thank´s lincolnimp for this sample

9. dougaf scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

Daftmill serves as one those of classic stories that I want to love. But we must try and not let our hopes get the best of us..

I gave the other sample I had an 84, so let's see what this brings us.

Thanks to Jackson05 for the sample!
      Raw distillate. Sharp. Barley driven. Lime peels. Bitter note. Dandelion. Lime sweet tarts. Red pencil crayon shavings. Engaging.
    • Taste
      Citrus. Maltiness. Cream. Rounded beyond its age. Lime. Under ripe lemons left in the sun. Almonds. Dark Chocolate. Movie theatre butter topping.
      Slightly underdone lime cream pie crust. Chocolate covered orange and lime peels. Sweet tarts. Medium length finish.

10. Bob_Harris scored this whisky 89 points Newbie